Advance Medical Directives in Singapore

Last updated on March 19, 2019

An Advance Medical Directive (AMD), also known as a “living will”, is a legal document you sign in advance to inform your doctor that you do not want the doctor to use any extraordinary life-sustaining treatment to prolong your life, in the event that you are terminally ill and become unconscious or incapable of exercising rational judgement.

The Advance Medical Directive Act (the AMDA) is a law in Singapore passed in 1996 authorising the use of AMDs in Singapore.

What is Extraordinary Life-Sustaining Treatment?

“Extraordinary life-sustaining treatment” means any medical procedure or measure which, when administered to a terminally ill patient, will only prolong the process of dying when death is imminent, but excludes palliative care.

What is a Terminal Illness?

“Terminal illness” is defined in the AMDA as an incurable condition caused by injury or disease from which there is no reasonable prospect of a temporary or permanent recovery. For such a condition, death is imminent even if extraordinary life-sustaining measures were used. These measures would only serve to postpone the moment of death for the patient.

When Will the AMD Not Have Any Effect?

A medical practitioner has a duty to inform a patient who is conscious and capable of exercising a rational judgement of all the various forms of treatment that may be available in his particular case so that the patient may make an informed judgement as to whether a particular form of treatment should, or should not, be undertaken.

Who Can Make an AMD?

A person who is not mentally disordered and is at least 21 years old may make an AMD.

Do You Need a Lawyer to Make an AMD?

Lawyers and legal advice are not necessary in the making of an AMD. However, in the event of death or sickness, it is generally advisable to ensure that one’s affairs are in order, through estate planning or other legal means.  Legal advice may be sought to draw up a will, or to implement a lasting power of attorney.

How Can You Make an AMD?

To make an AMD, you will have to complete an AMD form (which is available from any clinics, polyclinics, or hospitals, or online from here), sign it in the presence of two witnesses, and return it to the Registrar of AMDs at the Ministry of Health. More detailed instructions may be found on the AMD form itself.

Witnesses for the AMD

Two witnesses are needed in the signing. The signer’s doctor must be one of the two witnesses. The doctor will ensure that the signer is not forced into making the AMD, is of sound mind, and understands the nature and implications of an AMD.

The other witness must be at least 21 years old.

Additionally, both witnesses must not have any vested interests in the signer’s death. Specifically, the witness must not:

  • Be a beneficiary under the signer’s will or any policy of insurance;
  • Have any interest under any instrument under which the signer is the donor, settlor or grantor;
  • Be entitled to an interest in the estate of the signer on the signer’s death without a will;
  • Be entitled to an interest in the moneys of the signer held in the CPF or other provident fund on the death of that signer; and
  • Have registered an objection to the AMD (a doctor who for any reason objects to the AMD and registers his objection can refuse to witness the signing of an AMD).

Even if the witness is a relative of the signer, he would be allowed to act as witness so long as he has no vested interests in the signer’s death.


Making an AMD is a voluntary and optional decision. It is a criminal offence for any person to force you to make one against your will. Forcing or misleading another person into signing an AMD is an offence punishable under the law. If convicted, such a person can be fined and imprisoned and disqualified as a beneficiary.

If you have made an AMD regardless of objections from members of your family, the doctors will have to respect your AMD.


The AMD is a confidential document. Hospital staff, including doctors and nurses, do not know who has made an AMD as it is confidential and they are not allowed to ask you if you have made an AMD.

However, if your attending doctor has reasons to believe that you are terminally ill and unable to make your wishes known to him, he can check with the Registrar of Advance Medical Directives on whether you have made an AMD.

How Much Does it Cost to Make an AMD?

To make an AMD, you will have to consult a doctor who, as a witness, is required to explain the AMD to you. You may have to pay the doctor for the services rendered. However, the AMD form itself is free.

Is it Possible to Make an AMD While You are Overseas?

As long as the first witness is a doctor currently registered with the Singapore Medical Council, and the AMD is filed with the AMD Registry in Singapore, the AMD is considered valid.

Can an AMD be Revoked?

An AMD can be revoked at any time in the presence of at least one witness, by completing the AMD revocation form. Alternatively, the person or his witness could write a letter to the Registrar of AMDs.

Where a person is unable to write, the AMD may be revoked orally or in any other way in which he can communicate. It is then the responsibility of the witness to the revocation to submit the notice of revocation using the revocation form or the letter. The witness should also state the reason why the person revoking the AMD could not do so himself.

For more information on revoking an AMD, refer to the FAQ section of the Ministry of Health website. You can also read our other article for more facts on AMDs that you may not have known about.

Estate Planning
  1. Plan Intergenerational Wealth With a Singapore Family Office
  2. Estate Planning for Digital Assets (NFTs, Social Media, Etc.)
  3. 8 Tools You Must Know for Estate Planning in Singapore
  4. Guide to CPF Nominations & How to Make One In Singapore
  5. What Happens to Your Debts When You Die?
  6. Who Pays for the Mortgage Debts and Medical Bills After Death?
  7. Is Inheritance Tax Payable When You Die in Singapore?
  8. Is Stamp Duty Payable When Inheriting Property in Singapore?
  9. How to Donate your Assets to Charity
  10. Organ Donation in Singapore (under HOTA, or For Science)
  11. Finding Missing Persons in Singapore (or ‘Presumed Dead’)
Making a Will
  1. Making a Will in Singapore: What are the Formalities Involved? (2023)
  2. The Complete Guide to Making Your Will in Singapore
  3. Why Should You Make a Will?
  4. Checklist for Drafting a Comprehensive Will in Singapore
  5. Get An Affordable Will Made By Experienced Lawyers
  6. Choosing an Executor for Your Will in Singapore
  7. How to Prepare a Schedule of Assets for Your Will in Singapore
  8. Appointing a Guardian for Your Children in Your Will in Singapore
  9. What is a Mutual Will, Mirror Will and Joint Will?
  10. How to Give Away Overseas Assets in a Will in Singapore
  11. Can I Use My Will to Distribute Insurance Proceeds?
  12. Where Should You Store Your Will?
  13. How Can I Change My Will?
Preparing for Incapacity
  1. Mental Incapacity in Singapore: A Guide
  2. Mental Capacity Assessment for LPAs and Wills
  3. Appointment of Deputies under the Mental Capacity Act
  4. How to Appoint a Deputy for Mentally Incapacitated Persons in Singapore
  5. Advance Medical Directives in Singapore
  6. Making a Lasting Power of Attorney in Singapore
  7. Revocation of a Lasting Power of Attorney
  8. Advance Care Planning in Singapore: Why and How to Get Started
Setting Up a Trust
  1. Creating Pet Trusts in Singapore: Are They Legally Recognised?
  2. What is a Trust? Trust Law in Singapore
  3. Fiduciaries and Fiduciary Law in Singapore
  4. Setting Up a Discretionary Living Trust in Singapore
  5. Trust Protectors: Who are They & How to Appoint One in Singapore
Grant of Probate and Grant of Letters of Administration
  1. No Executor For Your Loved One's Will: What to Do
  2. What is Probate? Is It Needed If Your Loved One Passes Away?
  3. Can the Public Trustee Administer Your Loved One's Estate?
  4. How to Get a Copy of a Deceased's Will in Singapore
  5. Managing a Loved One's Estate After Their Death in Singapore
  6. Applying for a Grant of Probate in Singapore
  7. Intestacy: Applying for Letters of Administration in Singapore
  8. Obtaining a Fresh Grant of Probate and Resealing a Foreign Grant of Probate
  9. Comprehensive Guide to Probate Fees in Singapore
Distribution of Estate Assets
  1. Dispute with Executor of Will in Singapore: What to Do
  2. Bona Vacantia: Dying With No Will or Relatives in Singapore
  3. Who Gets the Joint Bank Account Monies if One Owner Dies?
  4. What Happens If You Die Without a Will in Singapore?
  5. An Executor’s Checklist to Executing a Will in Singapore
  6. What to Do If the Will Cannot be Found
  7. How to Contest a Will in Singapore (Grounds and Procedure)
  8. What Happens to the HDB Flat When One Owner Dies?
  9. How to Access the Bank Account of a Deceased Spouse
  10. What Happens to the Car When the Owner Passes Away?
  11. Simultaneous Death: How are Assets Distributed When Family Members Die at the Same Time?
  12. Can a half-brother be considered a next of kin? (when distributing the assets of the deceased)
  13. What happens to property when a deceased’s next-of-kin or named personal representative is uncontactable?
  14. What happens to property not accounted for in a will?
  15. What happens to a Singapore expatriate's assets when he passes on?
  16. What if a Child or Beneficiary Dies Before the Willmaker?
  17. How Can Your Minor Beneficiaries Receive Their Inheritance?
  18. Unfair Maintenance: What Can Singapore's Law Do for You?
Muslim Inheritance Law
  1. Using Hibah for Muslim Estate Planning in Singapore
  2. Can Muslims Make Nuzriah (or Nazar) in Singapore and How?
  3. Muslim Probate: Guide to Inheritance Certificates in Singapore
  4. Muslim Inheritance Law in Singapore