7 Best Divorce and Family Lawyers in Singapore (2022)
Legal issues involving your family can be delicate. Hence, is highly recommended to hire a divorce or family lawyer to resolve such issues. However, before you engage a divorce or family lawyer, it is worth noting the similarities and differences between the two categories of lawyers.
A divorce lawyer mainly specialises in handling divorce matters. On the other hand, although divorce makes up a significant part of a family lawyer’s workload, family lawyers generally practise other areas of family law as well, such as adoption, family violence and probate matters.
Understandably, it may be a challenging process to find and decide on a suitable divorce or family lawyer. This article serves to give you some guidance on engaging the ideal lawyer for your family-related legal matters.
Below are 7 divorce and family lawyers in Singapore we recommend to you:
1. Understanding and Compassionate: June Lim
|Law Firm||Eden Law Corporation|
|Address||190 Clemenceau Avenue, #06-05 Singapore Shopping Centre, Singapore 239924|
|Office Hours||Monday to Friday, 9.00am – 6.00pm (By appointment only)|
|Years of Experience||14 years|
|Languages spoken||English, Mandarin, French|
June Lim is the managing director of Eden Law Corporation and has vast experience dealing with divorce and custody matters. As a regular volunteer with the Community Justice Centre and Legal Aid Bureau, she is also passionate about lending a helping hand to disadvantaged women and foreign spouses.
June renders her legal services on a low bono model. This means her legal services cater more towards middle-class families who may not be able to afford the usual legal fees but, at the same time, do not qualify for pro bono legal assistance. Such a fee model is especially attractive considering the potentially hefty costs involved in engaging a lawyer.
Client review by Jolanta Meyer-Helwege, 15 May 2019
“June Lim was our [lawyer] in a marriage annulment case.
I can highly recommend her as she is highly professional and very pleasant to work with. She is [quick] to [respond] and, as her clients, we always had a good picture of the risks and chances in our case. The communication on distance (as we live in Europe) worked very well. The costs are very reasonable and as agreed beforehand.”
2. Considerate and Empathetic: Lim Chong Boon
|Law Firm||PKWA Law Practice|
|Address||480 Lorong 6 Toa Payoh #16-01 HDB Hub East Wing Singapore 310480|
|Office Hours||9am – 6pm|
|Years of Experience||33 years|
|Languages spoken||English, Mandarin|
As the head of the family law department, Lim Chong Boon has led PKWA Law Practice to be recognised as one of The Straits Times’ best family law firms in 2022. In dealing with divorce matters, he strongly believes in providing his legal services at an affordable fee rate to resolve divorces amicably.
If you are concerned about high legal fees, his law firm also offers a free first consultation and, if engaged, complimentary in-house professional counselling to clients.
Client review by Meng, 9 May 2018
“I consulted a few lawyers to compare them and prices. Mr Lim is the most experienced and his team is considered by many to be one of the best family lawyers. His fees are also very affordable and competitive. Quality and price are all acceptable. And I am glad that I chose him. Extremely professional and fast in responding to me, and they settled my divorce and everything was over as promised within 4 months! Highly recommended.”
3. Reliable and Transparent: Mohammed Baiross
|Law Firm||I.R.B. Law LLP|
|Address||119 Jalan Sultan, Singapore 199007|
|Office Hours||9.30am to 9.30pm daily (Call and make an appointment before visiting)|
|Years of Experience||14 years|
|Languages spoken||English, Malay, Tamil|
As the founding and managing partner of I.R.B. Law LLP, Mohammed Baiross keeps his clients’ best interests at heart while providing no-frills legal advice at an affordable rate. He has also led his law firm to be acknowledged as one of The Straits Times’ best family law firms in 2022.
Among his many positive client reviews is the repeated praise for his straightforward and transparent nature when providing legal advice to clients.
Client review by Wally, 5 July 2021
“I felt that I needed a trustworthy lawyer. I am very grateful that Mr. Baiross was my lawyer throughout the divorce. He did a great job of walking me through the process from the very beginning and keeping me up to speed, as necessary. Mr. Baiross also provided clarity on the figures associated with the financial settlement. Clearly, he led me to the best possible outcome in my situation. Thank you, Mr. Baiross! You’re the Man!”
4. Friendly and Approachable: Lee Kim Kee
|Law Firm||K K Lee Law Corporation|
|Address||511 Guillemard Road #03-13 Grandlink Square Singapore 399849|
|Office Hours||Monday – Friday: 9am – 6.15pm. Saturdays and weekday evenings by appointment|
|Years of Experience||39|
|Languages spoken||English, Mandarin, Hokkien, Cantonese|
With over 39 years’ standing in the legal profession, Lee Kim Kee has accumulated vast experience in dealing with family matters as the director of K K Lee Law Corporation.
She has advised people from all walks of life and such experience has allowed her to gain a deep understanding and familiarity with tackling various divorce matters. Further, her client reviews are a true testament to her friendly and approachable nature.
Client review by Yeo YS, 15 September 2021
“Ms Lee took on our case on short notice and made time on the a weekend to meet up and discuss the details. She was direct and fair in her analysis and she took the time to listen without judgment. Her experience and efficiency put us at ease as we knew we were in good hands. She is a compassionate lawyer and she made it a smooth and positive experience for us.”
5. Sincere and Skilful: Kim Tan
|Law Firm||Sterling Law Corporation|
|Address||137 Telok Ayer Street #07-05 Hokkien Huay Kuan Building Singapore 068602|
|Office Hours||Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm|
|Years of Experience||28|
|Languages spoken||English, Mandarin|
A senior consultant in the area of family law at Sterling Law Corporation, Kim Tan is devoted to lending a hand to those who are in the midst of a divorce. She is known to have had her views on family law featured in the press and local magazines.
With over 25 years of experience in handling divorces, Kim adopts an empathetic and personal approach to guiding her clients in every step of the way.
Client review by LI, 22 July 2021
“I spoke to around 7 lawyers before choosing Kim to handle my divorce. The decision proved to be the right one. She handled my now ex-husband with skill and confidence. To be honest, I was a complete wreck because my ex-husband is difficult and manipulative. I was stricken with grief, anxiety and worries. After I met Kim, my life turned around. She helped me to achieve my hopes and addressed my fears.
Her sincerity, kindness and earnestness made her an exceptionally gifted lawyer. A genuine soul with a generous heart! I am truly blessed as she always has my best interests at heart. I am grateful to Kim for her efforts and definitely recommend her.”
6. Reassuring and Knowledgeable: Lim Fung Peen
|Law Firm||Yuen Law LLC|
|Address||50 South Bridge Road #03-00, Singapore 058682|
|Office Hours||9am – 6pm|
|Years of Experience||26|
|Languages spoken||English, Mandarin|
Lim Fung Peen is the head of the Family and Private Wealth team at Yuen Law LLC. He has led Yuen Law LLC to earning the title of The Straits’ Times best family law firms in 2022.
Fung Peen has acted for his clients in divorce matters, including the division of matrimonial assets. His clients often describe him to be reassuring and supportive when providing legal assistance to them at any given time. Fung Peen is also highly knowledgeable in the area of crafting wills and lasting power of attorney, on which he had authored two books.
He is a firm believer in providing transparent pricing on his legal fees, readily providing accurate pricing quotes when contacted.
Client review by Stephen C, 17 December 2021
“Thank you for supporting and seeing this matter through. You and your team have indeed worked very closely with me despite the Covid restrictions. There was sufficient guidance and the right counsel throughout – I really value and respect you for your call when I was unsure about proceeding with annulment following a call from my spouse, you asked me to consider whether materially anything has changed to reconsider my decision and this helped me get back on track; thank you.
I liked how the team (Mr Lim and Ms Kaysha) worked with me on the matter of annulment. They counselled me before embarking on the case and supported me throughout, answering every query I had regarding the procedure. Due to the Covid restrictions, instead of resorting to working over the email, Mr Lim and Ms Kaysha updated and counselled me on relevant matters over the phone answering patiently to any query I had, making me feel reassured. I am glad that the annulment process is over.
I will recommend others simply on the basis that the firm is upfront about the process and procedures and for that personal touch.
Once again, thank you. I hope our paths do not cross again; however, if I do need legal advice I will reach out to you first.”
7. Proficient and Dedicated: Peggy Sarah Yee May Kuen
|Law Firm||PY Legal LLC|
|Address||12 Eu Tong Sen Street #06-163 The Central (SOHO 2) Singapore 059819|
|Office Hours||9am – 5.30pm|
|Years of Experience||34|
|Languages spoken||English, Mandarin, Malay|
The founding director of PY Legal LLC, Peggy Yee has over 30 years of experience in family law and estate matters. She has dealt with various family matters including divorce, custody and child support, maintenance order and financial settlement, as well as division of family assets.
Peggy has also spoken at talks on family law such as the Symposium on Divorce, Separation and Annulment. This is a clear indication of her proficiency and knowledge of the practice of family law.
Client review by Dobrin Dobrinov, 1 August 2019
“You are allowed to be emotional, express your feelings and just be yourself. My job is to listen to you, be a voice of support while keeping cool and focused on standing by your side through these trying times” –> these were the words of support and encouragement which Peggy greeted me with. It was exactly what I was looking for.
Throughout my case, Peggy stood unwaveringly by my side, offering great advice and encouragement while giving me the space to recoup when needed. Her professional advice offered in [a] calm, but encouraging, tone often brought stability throughout the tribulations of the legal case.
Her extensive professional expertise and ability to find [a] solution to any issue were very much welcome as to keep me focused on getting through. Peggy helped me to feel useful as she put me hard at work to help myself and in [a] way she made b[m]e become a part of her team. That gave me the chance to contribute towards the successful outcome of the case. I am very much satisfied with the case outcome.
And yet, her work didn’t stop there. After the court ruling Peggy and her staff worked tirelessly to get all paperwork and associated tasks processed, filed and done in time.
I will highly recommend her to anyone as it is rare to find someone to stand by your corner, be your friend and supporter in trying times.
Peggy, you did a great job!”
Should I hire a lawyer for my divorce or family case?
It is highly recommended to engage a lawyer to deal with your divorce or family case. Being knowledgeable and experienced in the relevant legal considerations, a divorce or family lawyer will be able to represent your best interests in matters such as divorce and division of matrimonial assets, without overriding your children’s best interests in child custody matters.
While you can represent yourself in court proceedings, you may find doing so challenging. This is because you will have to bear the responsibility of preparing your own case while complying with many possibly unfamiliar legal rules and procedures. As lawyers are more familiar with the requirements, they can provide you with a better chance of building a stronger case that is in line with your best interests.
Do you have recommendations for female divorce lawyers?
Yes, refer to our article on experienced female divorce lawyers in Singapore for more information.
Feel free to also try out the filters on our Find a Lawyer directory to search for lawyers based on your preferred characteristics (such as gender) as you shortlist the most suitable lawyer to represent you.
How much does it cost to hire a divorce or family lawyer in Singapore?
Divorce fees generally range from $1,500 to $3,500 for simplified uncontested divorces (where both spouses can agree on all terms of the divorce), and $10,000 to $35,000 for contested divorces (where both spouses are contesting at least one term of the divorce).
You may refer to our comprehensive guide to divorce fees in Singapore to find out more about the costs incurred in family matters.
How do I go about choosing the best divorce or family lawyer in Singapore for my matter?
In deciding the best divorce or family lawyer to represent your matter, it would be useful to read up on their client reviews. These reviews shed light on past clients’ experiences with the lawyer and hence whether the lawyer is a good fit for your matter.
However, this is only one step to choosing the best divorce or family lawyer. Our complete guide to choosing a good divorce lawyer in Singapore sets out various other steps you may follow as you look for a lawyer.
What if I married under Syariah law and now want to get a divorce?
Both Muslim marriages and divorces are governed by Syariah law instead of the civil law. A different divorce procedure thus applies to Syariah marriages. For example, you will need to apply for divorce at the Syariah Court instead of the Family Justice Courts.
To better understand Muslim divorces, please refer to our article on Muslim divorce in Singapore. If you are keen on engaging a Muslim divorce lawyer, you may browse through a list of experienced Muslim divorce lawyers in our Find a Lawyer directory.
Family-related legal issues are of a delicate nature, and hence require one to possess a deep understanding and empathy when handling matters relating to family and divorce law. Apart from the 7 lawyers we have highlighted in this article, there are many other highly skilled divorce and family lawyers in Singapore whom you can consider engaging.
If you are keen to explore more divorce or family lawyers in Singapore, you may use our Find a Lawyer directory to do so.
- Drafting a Deed of Separation in Singapore (Instead of Divorcing)
- Alternatives to Divorce in Singapore: A Practical Guide
- Process for Getting Divorced in Singapore (With Diagram)
- What are the Legal Grounds for Getting a Divorce?
- 3 Finance Questions To Ask Before a Divorce
- Practical Preparations for a Divorce
- How to Divorce Within 3 Years of Marriage in Singapore
- Getting Divorced: Documents and Evidence to Prepare
- Getting a Divorce Due to “Irreconcilable Differences” in Singapore
- Online Divorce in Singapore: How It Works and Should You Get One?
- How Can I Divorce Overseas After Marrying in Singapore?
- 7 Experienced Female Divorce Lawyers in Singapore (2022)
- Can a Divorcing Couple Use the Same Lawyer? Pros and Cons
- 7 Best Divorce and Family Lawyers in Singapore (2022)
- The Complete Guide to Choosing a Good Divorce Lawyer in Singapore
- Don’t Just Go for the Cheapest Divorce Lawyer in Singapore
- Find Highly Rated Divorce Lawyers in Singapore
- Child Custody Lawyers in Singapore: Do I Need One?
- Your Spouse Doesn't Want to Divorce: What to Do
- Procedure for Dissolution of Marriage
- Simplified Uncontested Divorce vs Contested Divorce in Singapore
- Mandatory Parenting Programme Guide for Divorcing Parents
- Divorce Mediation in Singapore
- Divorce Application: What to Do If Your Spouse Cannot be Found
- Contempt of Court in Divorce: When You Can be Punished
- Guide to Co-Parenting for Divorcing Parents in Singapore
- Procedure for Ancillary Matters
- Maintenance of Spouse in a Singapore Divorce
- Filling in a Matrimonial Property Plan for a Singapore Divorce
- Dividing Matrimonial Assets in a Singapore Divorce
- What Happens to Your HDB Flat after Divorce?
- What Happens to Gifts Between Spouses During a Divorce?
- What Happens to Property and Assets Located Overseas Upon a Divorce in Singapore?
- Child Custody, Care and Control & Access: Singapore Guide
- Getting Divorced: Child Maintenance in Singapore
- Singapore Divorcee's Guide to Relocating Your Child Overseas
- How to Vary a Child Custody Order in Singapore
- How to Appeal Your Divorce Case in Singapore
- Divorce Certs in Singapore: How to Get a Copy and Other FAQs
- Transfer of Matrimonial Home to Ex-Spouse After Divorce
- Can Divorcees Buy or Rent HDB Flats, and How?
- What to Do If Your Ex-Spouse Does Not Provide Maintenance
- How to Vary a Maintenance Order After a Singapore Divorce
- What to Do If Your Ex-Spouse Denies You Access to Your Child
- Division of CPF Assets (Monies, House, Investments) After a Divorce
- Divorce for British Expats: Spousal Maintenance Under the Law of England and Wales
- Settling Ancillary Matters in Singapore After Foreign Divorce
- Immigration Issues for Divorcing Expatriates
- Can Foreigners Divorce in Singapore?
- Expat or Foreigner Divorce in Singapore: 10 Legal Issues to Consider
- Hague Convention: Overseas Child Abduction in Singapore Divorce
- Case Study: Cross-Border Child Custody and the Hague Convention on International Child Abduction
- Can British Expats in Singapore Choose to Divorce in England?
- Divorce for British Expats: Approach to Matrimonial and Non-Matrimonial Assets in England vs Singapore
- Divorce for British Expats: How the English Courts Deal with Financial Matters
- Fasakh in a Muslim Divorce in Singapore: Grounds & Process
- Divorce by Cerai Taklik: Guide for Muslim Wives in Singapore
- Muslim Divorce in Singapore
- Talak in a Muslim Divorce in Singapore (and Its Effects)
- Guide to Divorcing by Khuluk for Muslim Wives in Singapore
- Applying for Nafkah Idaah and Mutaah in a Muslim Divorce in Singapore