How to Change the Registered Address of a Singapore Company

Last updated on April 1, 2024

new modern office

There are a number of common changes that business owners may make after registering their company. For example, you might want to change the name of your company or amend the particulars of your company officers or auditors.

This article will discuss the process of changing the registered address of your company.

All companies in Singapore are legally required to have a valid registered address

Section 142(1) of the Companies Act requires all companies to ensure that information on the company in the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority’s (ACRA) registers is up-to-date. This includes the registered office address. This ensures that your company remains reachable and can continue to receive correspondences from relevant government agencies, business partners and stakeholders.

If you wish to receive the forms and notices at a correspondence address other than the current registered address, you are required to update the correspondence address as the company’s registered address with the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA) (see point 4 below).

If you do not have a valid registered address, you will be liable to a fine of up to $5,000.

Requirements for a Registered Address

You should also take note of the relevant requirements to meet with regard to your new registered address.

Do note that all companies must ensure that their registered office is open and accessible to the public for at least three hours during ordinary business hours on each business day (excluding Saturday, Sunday and public holidays).

The is to allow members of the public to reach out to the office if necessary and to facilitate the delivery of any legal documents. Companies and directors that fail to comply with this requirement may be fined up to S$5,000.

The registered office must be an address in Singapore, but it need not be the place of operation. For instance, your company’s registered office address may be in Raffles Place, but your factory could be located in Jurong.

1. Decide on a New Address

When deciding on a new company address, you generally need to consider a few factors:

  • The location and its accessibility. For example, if you require clients to visit your office, you may wish to seek a location that is more prominent than remote. This may also attract potential employees who may choose their current office based on the ease of accessing it;
  • All costs incurred. You may wish to check if your rent or lease covers the costs of building maintenance or public utilities (E.g. cleaning services or electricity bills), and beware of any hidden costs. For example, where you are asked to pay an additional fee for services;
  • Availability of amenities. For example, if you need quick access to banks or post offices during working hours, choosing an office location that has these amenities nearby would be a convenient option; and
  • If services are provided. For example, if telephone line(s) and a stable WIFI network is required to meet your business needs.

Nevertheless, rather than renting a physical space to use as your office, there are now other alternatives that appear more attractive, especially to small companies.

You can consider subscribing to a virtual office package and utilising a virtual office as your new address. Alternatively, you can consider working from a co-working space, or even from your own home.

However, depending on the type of address that you are planning to register as your new address, you may have to get government approval before you can do so.

Type of office premises Government approval needed?
HDB flat, under the Home Office Scheme Yes, you must submit a Home Office Application via the Housing & Development Board website.
Condominium or other private residential property, under either the Home Office Scheme or Home-Based Business Scheme Yes, you must submit a Home Office Application via the Urban Redevelopment Authority website.
Virtual office No

Do note that P.O. Box addresses cannot be used as your business address.

2. Prepare and Pass a Board Resolution for the Change of Address

After deciding on your new address, your company’s board of directors will need to pass a Board Resolution to change your company’s address.

The following steps are required in order to pass such a Board Resolution:

  1. Prepare the written resolution to change the company address.
  2. Decide on a date for a board meeting and inform all directors of the date of the meeting, as well as the proposal to pass the resolution to change the company address.
  3. At the meeting, more than 50% of the directors on the Board have to agree to the resolution for it to be passed.

3. Moving Office

While changing your registered address, you will also need to plan your company’s relocation in advance.

You will need to check the tenancy agreement of your new place, as well as review and terminate your current tenancy agreement. In addition, you might have to terminate or transfer any relevant service contracts for services like communications services or public utilities.

You may wish to refer to our article on moving office to find out more about what you need to look out for when relocating your company.

4. Informing ACRA of the Change in Address

After confirming your company’s new address, you will need to file a “Change in Company Information (Change in Registered Office Address and Office Hours)” transaction with ACRA via the BizFile+ website. This has to be done within 14 days from the date of change of address.

Any director or company secretary of the company can file the application online by logging into the BizFile+ website with the company’s CorpPass account.

Filing such updates are free, but there is a penalty of up to $350 for late filing.

You will need to provide the new address of your company, as well as the date of change, along with any other supporting documents, e.g. the HDB/URA application form for your home-based office.

The e-transaction will take about 4 to 15 minutes to complete and will usually take 3 working days to process. However, it may take between 14 working days to 2 months if the application needs to be referred to another agency for approval or review.

For more information, you may refer to the step-by-step eGuide on how to navigate the BizFile+ website and change your company’s registered address.

5. Updating other Relevant Stakeholders

Once you have updated your company’s address on ACRA, you will not need to notify the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore (IRAS) separately. IRAS will update its records based on the information filed with ACRA on a weekly basis.

IRAS will then send any notices or correspondence for tax purposes to your new address.

However, you will have to notify other government agencies like the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) or the CPF Board separately. This is so that any future correspondence pertaining to your company or your employees, e.g. notice of CPF contribution or work permit issues, can be sent to your new address from then on.

To update MOM, you will need to log in via Employment Pass (EP) Online as an “employer”, using your company’s CorpPass account, and just select the option to “Change Particulars” on the left menu.

To notify the CPF Board, you just have to print out and complete this form, and mail it to the CPF Board.

Apart from notifying the relevant authorities, you should also inform your suppliers, banks, customers, as well as update your new address on your company website or on social media so that others know where to find you.

Need Help?

For assistance with corporate processes, please check out our fees or contact us for a quotation.

Getting Started
  1. Guide to Finding Investors For Your Singapore Start-Up
  2. Starting an E-Sports Business in Singapore: 6 Things To Note
  3. A Guide to Starting a Business in Singapore
  4. Event Planning Business in Singapore: How to Handle Licensing, Etc.
  5. Developing a Business App? Here are 5 Things to Note
  6. Starting a Telemedicine Practice: Legal Considerations
  7. How to Start Your Own Law Firm in Singapore
  8. How to Start a Business With a Co-Founder in Singapore
  9. High-Tech Farming Business in Singapore: How to Get Started
  10. Using AI For Your Singapore Business: 4 Things to Note
  11. 8 Checks to Conduct on Registered Companies in Singapore
  12. How to Get a UEN Number in Singapore: Step-by-Step Guide
  13. Startup Incubator or Accelerator: Why & How to Join in Singapore
  14. Social Enterprise and B Corp: Are They Any Different?
  15. Registering a Business in Singapore: Do I Need to and How?
  16. Deciding Your Business Structure: A Sole Proprietorship, Partnership or a Company?
  17. How to Choose an ACRA-Approved Name for Your Business
  18. 7 Start-Up Government Grants in Singapore (and How to Apply)
  19. How to Open a Corporate Bank Account in Singapore (2024)
  20. Guide to Corporate Secretarial Services & Hiring a Suitable Firm
  21. Financial Year End (FYE) Singapore: How to Decide/Change
  22. 8 Tips on Choosing the Best Virtual Office in Singapore for Your Business
  23. Company Seals vs Rubber Stamps in Singapore: When to Use What
Incorporation and Company Formation
  1. Multinational Company (MNC): How to Set Up One in Singapore
  2. How to Set Up a Holding Company in Singapore (With FAQs)
  3. How to Register a Company in Singapore: Documents, Fees, Etc.
  4. Guide to Limited Liability Companies in Singapore
  5. Starting an Exempt Private Company in Singapore: Benefits and Process
  6. Registration and Compliance Fees for Singapore Companies
  7. Setting Up a Company Limited by Guarantee in Singapore
  8. Why and How to Set Up a Subsidiary in Singapore (with FAQs)
  9. Why and How to Set Up a Branch Office in Singapore (with FAQs)
  10. Offshore Company: What is It & How to Set Up One in Singapore
  11. Trading Company in Singapore: Why and How to Set Up One
  12. Shelf Company: What It Is and How to Buy One in Singapore
  13. Special Purpose Vehicle: Does Your Start-Up Need One?
Setting Up Other Business Structures
  1. Registering a Society in Singapore
  2. When Should a Small Business Change Its Legal Structure?
  3. Sole Proprietorship vs Pte Ltd: Pros and Cons in Singapore
  4. Forming a Sole Proprietorship in Singapore
  5. Forming a Partnership in Singapore
  6. Guide to Registering a Limited Liability Partnership (LLP) in Singapore
  7. Why and How to Convert Your Singapore Sole Proprietorship into a Pte Ltd Company
Setting up a Business for Foreigners and Foreign Companies
  1. Singapore GST Registration Guide for Foreign Businesses
  2. Applying for Tech.Pass in Singapore: Eligibility and Benefits
  3. How Can Foreigners Start a Business in Singapore?
  4. Foreign Companies Setting up in Singapore
  5. Singapore Representative Office: How Can a Foreign Company Set Up?
  6. Redomiciliation: Why and How to Convert Your Foreign Company into a Singapore-Registered Company
  7. Singapore Entrepreneur Pass: Who Is It For? How Do I Obtain One?
  8. Setting Up a Company in Malaysia: A Foreigner’s Guide
Applying for Business Licences
  1. Do You Need a Licence to Sell Home Bakes in Singapore?
  2. Legal Checklist for Setting Up a Restaurant in Singapore
  3. How Businesses Can Import Food into Singapore
  4. How to Apply for Halal Certification for Your Singapore Restaurant
  5. How to Apply for a Liquor Licence to Sell Alcohol in Singapore
  6. Public Entertainment Licence: Guide for Business Owners
  7. Want to Busk in Singapore? Here's How to Get Your Busking Licence
Legal Documents
  1. Guide to Writing Website Terms and Conditions in Singapore
  2. Using Smart Contracts in Singapore: Benefits and Risks
  3. Your Guide to Joint Venture Agreements in Singapore
  4. Key Legal Documents Every Startup Should Consider
  5. Legal Pitfalls of Using Generative AI to Draft Business Documents
  6. Do You Need a Partnership Agreement When Setting Up?
  7. Do You Need a Shareholder Agreement When Setting Up?
  8. Memorandum of Understanding (MOU): Does Your Business Need One?
  9. Guide to VIMA in Singapore (Venture Capital Investment Model Agreements)
Office Rental
  1. How to Apply for Change of Use of Property (URA and HDB)
  2. Moving to a New Office: A Legal Checklist for Singapore Businesses
  3. How to Change the Registered Address of a Singapore Company
  4. Guide to Common Commercial Lease Terms in Singapore
  5. How to Resolve Commercial Lease Disputes in Singapore
Industry Tips
  1. Legal Tips: Starting an Online Business in Singapore