What if a Chinese funeral or a Malay wedding is too noisy?
Do you live in a HDB estate? Whether you are a student cramming for exams, or an adult looking for some peace and quiet after a hard day’s work, you will doubtlessly have encountered and become frustrated by noisy neighbours perusing the communal halls or pavilions for celebrations or funerals.
Under the regulations of the Town Councils in Singapore, a person can choose to book a common area with said councils by paying a stipulated fee, and use such venues for weddings or funerals. However, if the noise generated goes beyond reasonable levels, you may choose to contact your respective Town Council to lodge a complaint. If the noise persists between 10.30pm to around 7am, it is appropriate for you to contact the police, by calling the police hotline 1800-2550000, who may then dispatch officers to quell the disturbance. Alternatively, they may recommend the neighbours to undergo mediation, or even advise them to submit written complaints to the Magistrate’s Court.
Pursuant to section 14 of the Miscellaneous Offences (Public Order and Nuisance) Act, generating excessive noise that may cause an annoyance to others is an offence punishable with a fine. However, the authorities would usually only enforce this punishment in extreme cases.
Generally, as the HDB void deck is managed by the Town Council, it would be the one to solve the problem. For example, when there were noise complaints related to ball-playing at the void deck of a HDB block in Woodlands, Sembawang Town Council decided to partially cordon off the void deck. While we can disagree on whether that is the right solution, it does show that Town Councils are responsive to residents’ feedback on noise.
For related information on the permissible noise generated by construction sites, industrial activities or traffic, click here.
- Conveyancing Lawyers for Singapore Property Transactions
- Legal Issues to Note When Helping Your Child Buy a Property
- Property Title Deeds: How to Amend & Do You Need a Copy?
- Can I Buy an HDB Flat in Singapore For Investment Purposes?
- 6 Highly Rated Conveyancing Lawyers in Singapore (2024)
- The Conveyancing Process in Singapore
- Types of property and home ownership in Singapore
- Option to Purchase: 6 Things to Know Before Exercising It
- Common Terms in Sale & Purchase Agreements
- Why and How to Lodge a Caveat on a Property in Singapore
- Joint ownership in Singapore and unequal contributions to purchase price
- Buying Property in Singapore: How to Pay for Your Property
- Buying Property on "As Is Where Is" Basis: What This Means
- Buying a Property on Trust for Your Child
- What are the duties of an estate agent in Singapore?
- HDB Resale Process: Selling Your HDB Flat Without an Agent
- Property Auction: Buying a House in Distressed Sales & More
- Illegal Subletting in Singapore: Laws and Penalties
- What is Wear and Tear? Are Landlords or Tenants Liable For It?
- Evicting Family Members From Your Property in Singapore
- Being Evicted in Singapore: What Happens and Next Steps
- Guide to Letters of Intent for Property Rentals in Singapore
- Tenant-Landlord Rights in Singapore
- 6 Common Terms in Tenancy Agreements & What They Mean
- What If I Have a Tenancy Dispute or Complaint in Singapore?
- Getting a Mortgage Redemption in Singapore
- Landlord Won’t Return Your Security Deposit: What to Do
- Landlord’s Guide to Evicting a Problematic Tenant in Singapore
- Applying for a Writ of Distress When a Singapore Tenant Owes You Rent
- Are Landlords, Tenants, and Agents Liable for Sex Trade in HDB flats/Condominiums?
- Dispute With Your Condo’s Management or MCST: What to Do
- Is Airbnb Illegal in Singapore?
- Community Disputes Resolution Tribunals (CDRT): How to File a Claim
- How to Obtain an Exclusion Order Against a Neighbour in Singapore
- Resolving Disputes with a Neighbour from Hell in Singapore
- Ceiling Leaks: What Can I Do?
- What if a Chinese funeral or a Malay wedding is too noisy?
- What is the Tort of Interference with Land? What is the rule in Rylands v Fletcher?