Hague Convention: Overseas Child Abduction in Singapore Divorce

Last updated on April 13, 2022

Mother pulling luggage and holding a young boy's hand in an airport

With a greater number of expatriates in Singapore these days, cross-border marriages are now more common. However, this also leads to a greater number of cross-border divorces when marriages go sour.

Cross-border divorces have more complex elements. For example:

  • Who should have custody of the child?
  • Which country should the child be staying in?

One parent may also be tempted to abduct the child back to his/her own country. International child abduction refers to the act of one parent taking the child out of the country without the consent of the other parent. In such cases, the other parent is likely to take legal action, such as by making a Hague Convention application, to bring the child back.

If you face a similar situation, you may be confronted with some challengingla questions. Under what circumstances would a court order a child to be returned to the other parent? Which jurisdiction gets to decide on the issue of child custody? This article seeks to address some of these questions.

The Treaty for International Child Abduction in Divorce

In most cases of international child abduction, the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction, also known as the Hague Convention, can be invoked.

The Hague Convention is an international treaty which seeks to protect children from the harmful effects of international abduction. It provides a legal avenue for a parent to:

  • Seek the prompt return of his/her child who has been wrongfully removed from Singapore; or
  • Make arrangements for securing the effective exercise of rights of access to the child.

The Hague Convention also governs the determination of the appropriate court which would make custody orders relating to the child.

However, the Hague Convention only applies in signatory nations where it has been adopted. Hence, the potential remedies under the Hague Convention are accessible only where the child has been wrongfully removed from one signatory country, and brought to another signatory country.

Some of the signatory countries include:

  • Singapore
  • The United States of America
  • Australia
  • Germany
  • The United Kingdom
  • Japan
  • South Korea

How to Make a Hague Convention Application in Singapore

If the child has been removed from Singapore, the complaining parent must bring a court action to invoke the Hague Convention either in Singapore or the country to which the child had been taken to. The Hague Convention application must be done within 1 year of the child’s removal.

To start the application, the complaining parent must file an Originating Summons in Form 213 of Appendix A of the Family Justice Courts Practice Directions (FJCPD). The Originating Summons must be accompanied by a supporting affidavit in Form 215 of Appendix A of the FJCPD, which will state the complaining parent’s personal knowledge of the matter.

These documents are to be filed through the e-Litigation system. If the complaining parent has not engaged a lawyer, they can file the documents at either of the two Lawnet & CrimsonLogic Bureaus in Singapore.

The filing fees for these documents are as follows:

Document Fee Transmission and Processing Fees Handling Fees
Originating Summons $60 $4.80 $8 if filed by litigant-in-person*

$10 if filed by non-litigant-in-person

Supporting Affidavit $1 per page (minimum fee of $10) $4.80 $8 if filed by litigant-in-person*

$10 if filed by non-litigant-in-person

* A litigant-in-person is a party in legal proceedings who is representing themselves instead of engaging a lawyer.

Hearing of the Hague Convention Application

After the Originating Summons has been accepted by the Family Justice Courts (FJC) Registry for filing, a court hearing date will be given immediately.

The complaining parent will also need to serve the application, together with any supporting documents, on the other parent in the proceeding. The application can be served on the other parent personally through using a court process server, or on the other parent’s lawyer if the lawyer is accepting service on the other parent’s behalf.

Within 7 days of the filing of the application, the complaining parent also needs to send a copy of the application to the Central Authority of Singapore and to any court where there might be pending proceedings relating to the custody, care and control or access to the child. If the parent fails to do so, the Singapore court might not hear the application.

On the first day at court, an Assistant Registrar will give directions on what to do next. This could include the filing of further affidavits if the information given at first is not comprehensive enough or further details are required.

When all the required affidavits have been filed and the application is ready for hearing, the court will fix a date for the application to be heard before a District Judge.

If the parents may be able to resolve their dispute on their own, the District Judge may direct them to either attend mediation or counselling at the Family Relations Chambers.

If the parents resolve their dispute before the hearing, they can attend before the District Judge in chambers to record a consent order. This will end the court proceedings. A consent order is an Order of Court confirming the terms the parties have agreed to in resolving their dispute.

Otherwise, if the dispute is not resolved, the District Judge will hear the application and decide on the matter on the parents’ behalf.

In Which Country is the Child a “Habitual Resident”?

To successfully invoke the Hague Convention, it must be proved that the child was a “habitual resident” in Singapore prior to his/her “wrongful removal” to another signatory nation, in breach of a parent’s custody rights. Generally speaking, the retention of the child by one parent without the consent of the other would constitute “wrongful removal”.

As for the term “habitual resident”, its definition is not given in the Hague Convention, and hence is often the most contested issue in such cases.

The habitual residence of a child is often held in prior cases to be synonymous with the ordinary residence of the child. A child’s citizenship is not determinative of his/her habitual residence. Some factors used by courts to determine if the country in question is the child’s habitual residence include:

  1. The shared intentions of both parents
  2. The background of the child’s residences prior to the removal (i.e. location of the child’s school, home, caregivers)
  3. The extent of the settled nature of the family prior to the removal

After the Hague Convention Application is Heard: Applying for Custody of the Child

If the Hague Convention application is granted

If the court determines that the child’s habitual residence is Singapore and grants the Hague Convention application for the child to be returned to Singapore, the complaining parent must forward a copy of the court order to the Central Authority of Singapore within 7 days of the order being made.

As for the returning of the child itself, the complaining parent will have to enforce the order for the child to be returned to Singapore. It is likely that a divorce lawyer in Singapore will have to be engaged for this.

After that, both parents will have to file for custody orders in Singapore to determine who should have custody over the child. This is because making a Hague Convention application does not resolve custody and access issues. Instead, it merely decides whether the court of Singapore, or of the country that the child had been wrongfully removed to, should make the custody order.

If the Hague Convention application is dismissed

If the Singapore court dismisses the Hague Convention application on the basis that the child’s country of habitual residence is not Singapore, then the complaining parent will have to file for a custody order in the country determined to be the child’s habitual residence.

However, the complaining parent may still stand a good chance of obtaining favourable custody orders in that other country. In fact, judges would likely take into account the act of abduction by a parent in making custody decisions in favour of the other party.

Defences to a Hague Convention Application

If you have filed a case against your spouse for international child abduction, there are some defences they could rely on against the claim of wrongful removal, if applicable. Some of these include:

  1. Article 12: That more than one year has passed since the removal of the child
  2. Article 13: hat the complaining parent had consented or subsequently acquiesced in the removal/retention of the child
  3. Article 13: That there is a grave risk that the child’s return would expose him/her to physical or psychological harm, or otherwise place the child in an intolerable situation
  4. Article 13: That the child is old enough and of sufficient degree of maturity to object to being returned to the country of the complaining party, and it would be appropriate for the court to respect the child’s wishes
  5. Article 20: That the child’s return would subject him/her to violations of human rights and fundamental freedoms

For more information, read a case study on international child custody by matrimonial lawyer June Lim.

A parent looking to make a Hague Convention application should seek help from a divorce lawyer who is best suited to give advice on this issue. The entire legal proceedings for international child abduction cases can be complex, depending on the particular circumstances of the case.

Hence if you are facing such an issue, it is best to seek legal advice from a divorce lawyer, especially those with experience in international divorce. At SingaporeLegalAdvice.com, we have a list of experienced divorce lawyers whom you can approach.

Before getting a divorce
  1. Drafting a Deed of Separation in Singapore (Instead of Divorcing)
  2. Alternatives to Divorce in Singapore: A Practical Guide
  3. Process for Getting Divorced in Singapore (With Diagram)
  4. What are the Legal Grounds for Getting a Divorce?
  5. 3 Finance Questions To Ask Before a Divorce
  6. Practical Preparations for a Divorce
  7. How to Divorce Within 3 Years of Marriage in Singapore
  8. Getting Divorced: Documents and Evidence to Prepare
  9. Getting a Divorce Due to “Irreconcilable Differences” in Singapore
  10. Online Divorce in Singapore: How It Works and Should You Get One?
  11. How Can I Divorce Overseas After Marrying in Singapore?
Divorce Fees
  1. Comprehensive Guide to Divorce Fees in Singapore
Getting a Divorce Lawyer
  1. 7 Experienced Female Divorce Lawyers in Singapore (2024)
  2. Can a Divorcing Couple Use the Same Lawyer? Pros and Cons
  3. 7 Best Divorce and Family Lawyers in Singapore (2024)
  4. The Complete Guide to Choosing a Good Divorce Lawyer in Singapore
  5. Don’t Just Go for the Cheapest Divorce Lawyer in Singapore
  6. Find Highly Rated Divorce Lawyers in Singapore
  7. Child Custody Lawyers in Singapore: Do I Need One?
Proving Irretrievable Breakdown of Marriage
  1. How to Prove Adultery for Divorce Purposes in Singapore
  2. Getting a Divorce: How to Prove Desertion
  3. Getting a Divorce by Mutual Agreement in Singapore
  4. How to Prove Unreasonable Behaviour in a Singapore Divorce
  5. How to Prove Separation for a Singapore Divorce
Application for Divorce Part I: Dissolution of Marriage
  1. Your Spouse Doesn't Want to Divorce: What to Do
  2. Procedure for Dissolution of Marriage
  3. Simplified Uncontested Divorce vs Contested Divorce in Singapore
  4. Mandatory Parenting Programme Guide for Divorcing Parents
  5. Divorce Mediation in Singapore
  6. Divorce Application: What to Do If Your Spouse Cannot be Found
Application for Divorce Part 2: Ancillary Matters (Maintenance, Assets, Custody)
  1. Contempt of Court in Divorce: When You Can be Punished
  2. Guide to Co-Parenting for Divorcing Parents in Singapore
  3. Procedure for Ancillary Matters
  4. Maintenance of Spouse in a Singapore Divorce
  5. Filling in a Matrimonial Property Plan for a Singapore Divorce
  6. Dividing Matrimonial Assets in a Singapore Divorce
  7. What Happens to Your HDB Flat after Divorce?
  8. What Happens to Gifts Between Spouses During a Divorce?
  9. What Happens to Property and Assets Located Overseas Upon a Divorce in Singapore?
  10. Child Custody, Care and Control & Access: Singapore Guide
  11. Getting Divorced: Child Maintenance in Singapore
  12. Singapore Divorcee's Guide to Relocating Your Child Overseas
  1. How to Vary a Child Custody Order in Singapore
  2. How to Appeal Your Divorce Case in Singapore
  3. Divorce Certs in Singapore: How to Get a Copy and Other FAQs
  4. Transfer of Matrimonial Home to Ex-Spouse After Divorce
  5. Can Divorcees Buy or Rent HDB Flats, and How?
  6. What to Do If Your Ex-Spouse Does Not Provide Maintenance
  7. How to Vary a Maintenance Order After a Singapore Divorce
  8. What to Do If Your Ex-Spouse Denies You Access to Your Child
  9. Division of CPF Assets (Monies, House, Investments) After a Divorce
Expatriate Divorce
  1. Divorce for British Expats: Spousal Maintenance Under the Law of England and Wales
  2. Settling Ancillary Matters in Singapore After Foreign Divorce
  3. Typical issues in Singapore/England Divorces
  4. Immigration Issues for Divorcing Expatriates
  5. Can Foreigners Divorce in Singapore?
  6. Expat or Foreigner Divorce in Singapore: 10 Legal Issues to Consider
  7. Hague Convention: Overseas Child Abduction in Singapore Divorce
  8. Case Study: Cross-Border Child Custody and the Hague Convention on International Child Abduction
  9. Can British Expats in Singapore Choose to Divorce in England?
  10. Divorce for British Expats: Approach to Matrimonial and Non-Matrimonial Assets in England vs Singapore
  11. Divorce for British Expats: How the English Courts Deal with Financial Matters
Muslim or Syariah Divorce
  1. Fasakh in a Muslim Divorce in Singapore: Grounds & Process
  2. Divorce by Cerai Taklik: Guide for Muslim Wives in Singapore
  3. Muslim Divorce in Singapore
  4. Talak in a Muslim Divorce in Singapore (and Its Effects)
  5. Guide to Divorcing by Khuluk for Muslim Wives in Singapore
  6. Applying for Nafkah Idaah and Mutaah in a Muslim Divorce in Singapore
Other divorce matters
  1. Guide to Personal Protection Orders in Singapore
  2. Case Study - Love conquers All: The Divorce That Didn’t Happen
  1. Annulling a Singapore Marriage: Requirements and Process
  2. What Happens to Your HDB Flat After an Annulment?
  1. Separation in Singapore Via Deed of Separation and More
  2. Judicial or Legal Separation in Singapore: When and How to File
Prenuptial and Post-Nuptial Agreements
  1. Prenuptial Agreements in Singapore
  2. Should You Make a Post-Nuptial Agreement in Singapore?