HDB Power of Attorney: How To Get One

Last updated on February 1, 2019

A block of HDB flats in Singapore

When is a Power of Attorney Needed?

Power of Attorney is a document that appoints someone else to act on your behalf. Usually, it is required in a legal transaction, where greater proof of authorisation is required.

The Power of Attorney will spell out the powers conferred upon the attorney (i.e. whoever you appoint on your behalf), such as the power to sell, execute documents, or refund monies to the CPF Board.

In the context of Housing and Development Board (HDB) flats, there are several scenarios where an HDB Power of Attorney is needed:

Buying Build-to-Order (BTO) flats

For BTO flats, there are 3 major appointments, namely, the Selection of Flat, the signing of the Sales Agreement, and the Collection of Keys.

If you are unable to attend the appointment to sign the Sales Agreement, or the appointment for the collection of keys, for example if you have to travel, then you will have to authorise someone else to sign the agreement or collect the keys on your behalf. The authorisation has to be made using an HDB Power of Attorney.

Buying and selling of HDB flats

Even in general situations of buying and selling HDB flats outside of a BTO scenario, there are contract-signing appointments that require attendance. An HDB Power of Attorney is also required if you wish to authorise someone else to sign the following documents on your behalf:

  1. Option to Purchase
  2. Agreement for Lease
  3. Deed of Assignment
  4. Lease-in-Escrow
  5. Mortgage-in-Escrow

Getting an HDB Power of Attorney

If you need an HDB Power of Attorney, you’ll be happy to know that it is a relatively standard procedure that most law firms will perform.

Depending on your needs, the lawyer will prepare one of the following types of HDB Powers of Attorney for you:

  • Purchase, Sub-letting and General Management
  • Sale, Sub-Letting and General Management
  • Sub-Letting and General Management

You may also need to provide the lawyer with the following details:

  • The full name of the flat owner, as stated in their NRIC
  • The full name of the attorney, as stated in their NRIC
  • The full address of the HDB flat in question

Essentially, the lawyer will draft the document, and witness your signature. (If you are overseas, you will need to sign the HDB Power of Attorney before a notary public in the country that you’re in, then courier the original document to the lawyer.)

The lawyer will then file the Power of Attorney with the Supreme Court.

Once the Power of Attorney has been registered, you need to submit any one of the following documents to HDB:

  • Original Power of Attorney + 1 photocopy
  • Certified true copy from the High Court + 1 photocopy
  • 2 certified true copies of the Power of Attorney by an Advocate and Solicitor
  • A letter from the solicitor confirming that the standard format for Power of Attorney provided by HDB has been used
  • Certified true copy by an Advocate and Solicitor together with the computer printout with the High Court seal. This is required in cases where Power of Attorney has been registered through the Electronic Filing System

That’s it! It’s not a complicated procedure. The HDB Power of Attorney will be valid for a maximum of 6 years from its date of commencement.

You may want to compare quotations from lawyers for the preparation of a Power of Attorney.