Ceiling Leaks: What Can I Do?

Last updated on March 11, 2019

The issue of ceiling leaks dragging on for months and even years without being resolved due to uncooperative neighbours has been in the news recently, with Minister of National Development Khaw Boon Wan calling for more power to be given to the Housing Development Board (HDB) to enter flats to carry out repairs.

So what can you do if you are suffering from a ceiling leak? The situation differs depending on where you are staying.

HDB Flats

For HDB flats, the responsibility for maintaining the flats and fixing the leakages falls on both the upper and lower floor flats. After informing HDB and/or Town Council, HDB will usually assist in the investigations to determine the source of the leak and to ensure that repairs needed are made.

In the case of ceiling leakage between the upper and lower floor flats, under the lease, the upper and lower floor flat owners are jointly responsible for the repair of the party structure (the floor slab between the flats). This is according to the HDB Residents’ Handbook. A contractor should be jointly engaged for repairs and the costs should be split 50-50.

For those staying at the top most floor of the flat, as the leakage is from the roof of the block, and as the roof is part of the common property maintained by the Town Council, you should contact the Town Council in your area for repairs.

HDB also has a Goodwill Repair Assistance scheme to render assistance to HDB flat owners referred by the Grassroots Advisers of their estates. HDB will co-pay 50% of the repair cost, with the remainder cost split with the 2 flat owners. Each flat owner will thus only have to pay 25% each of the repair cost, subject to a maximum of $300 per repair location.

In the case of uncooperative neighbours, grassroots leaders may be involved to mediate when needed. As a last resort, HDB will initiate legal action.

It may take a few months for the situation to be resolved, allowing for investigations and repairs to be made and the complexity of the problem, and longer depending on how cooperative the flat owners are.

Private Non-Landed Estates

In the case of ceiling leakage for private non-landed estates, the relevant law is governed by the Building Maintenance and Strata Management Act, which is administered by the Strata Titles Board.

According to the Act, the upper floor is presumed liable for the leakage and thus the repairs unless he can prove to the contrary. Thus, the upper and lower floor flats are required to jointly carry out an investigation to determine the cause of the leak and proceed with repairs. You should also involve your condominium’s Management Corporation when necessary.

If an amicable resolution is not able to be achieved, the flat owner can make an application to the Strata Titles Board to resolve the problem.

The STB is a tribunal, which will fairly evaluate the situation based on the evidence and mediate between the parties. The STB will then make an order which is enforceable in the State Courts.

There is an application fee of $500 which covers two mediation sessions and hearings conducted by industry experts. You may apply for the $500 fee to be paid by the other party in your application.

For more information, read the Strata Living in Singapore guide by the Building and Construction Authority of Singapore.

This article is contributed by Denise Ee, a student at NUS School of Law.

Buying and selling a property
  1. Property Title Deeds: How to Amend & Do You Need a Copy?
  2. The Conveyancing Process in Singapore
  3. Types of property and home ownership in Singapore
  4. Option to Purchase: 6 Things to Know Before Exercising It
  5. Common Terms in Sale & Purchase Agreements
  6. Why and How to Lodge a Caveat on a Property in Singapore
  7. Joint ownership in Singapore and unequal contributions to purchase price
  8. Buying Property in Singapore: How to Pay for Your Property
  9. Buying Property on "As Is Where Is" Basis: What This Means
  10. Buying a Property on Trust for Your Child
  11. What if the seller does not turn up for the First Appointment?
  12. What are the duties of an estate agent in Singapore?
  13. HDB Resale Process: Selling Your HDB Flat Without an Agent
  14. Property Auction: Buying a House in Distressed Sales & More
Stamp Duties
  1. The Essential Guide to Buyer’s Stamp Duties in Singapore
  2. Decoupling to Beat the Additional Buyer's Stamp Duty
Renovation Disputes
  1. Renovation Disputes in Singapore
  2. Your Contractor Damaged Your Neighbour's Property. Can You Be Made Liable?
  3. What is the Defects Liability Period for Your Singapore Home?
Tenancy Disputes
  1. What is Wear and Tear? Are Landlords or Tenants Liable For It?
  2. Evicting Family Members From Your Property in Singapore
  3. Being Evicted in Singapore: What Happens and Next Steps
  4. Guide to Letters of Intent for Property Rentals in Singapore
  5. Tenant-Landlord Rights in Singapore
  6. 6 Common Terms in Tenancy Agreements & What They Mean
  7. What If I Have a Tenancy Dispute or Complaint in Singapore?
  8. Getting a Mortgage Redemption in Singapore
  9. Landlord Won’t Return Your Security Deposit: What to Do
  10. Landlord’s Guide to Evicting a Problematic Tenant in Singapore
  11. Applying for a Writ of Distress When a Singapore Tenant Owes You Rent
  12. Are Landlords, Tenants, and Agents Liable for Sex Trade in HDB flats/Condominiums?
  13. Dispute With Your Condo’s Management or MCST: What to Do
  14. Is Airbnb Illegal in Singapore?
Neighbour Disputes
  1. How to Obtain an Exclusion Order Against a Neighbour in Singapore
  2. Resolving Disputes with a Neighbour from Hell in Singapore
  3. Ceiling Leaks: What Can I Do?
  4. What can I do if a Chinese funeral or a Malay wedding creates a noisy annoyance in the void deck?
  5. What is the Tort of Interference with Land? What is the rule in Rylands v Fletcher?
Home Ownership Issues
  1. How Can I Buy My Co-Owner’s Share of the Property?
  2. Transfer of Property in Singapore
  3. Joint Tenancy vs Tenancy-in-Common and How to Change
  4. Refinancing Your Home Loan
  5. Co-Owner Refuses to Sell Your Singapore Property: What to Do