Your Guide to Tenancy Agreements in Singapore
What is a tenancy agreement?
A tenancy agreement states the scope of the contractual relationship between landlord and tenant by stipulating each parties’ rights and duties in respect of the tenancy.
Tenancy agreements are vital for both landlord and tenant. They clearly set out each party’s rights and duties under the agreement in order regulate the leasing of the property.
Tenancy agreements therefore safeguard parties against the repercussions that come along with early termination of the tenancy by the other, especially in event of a tenancy dispute.
What terms should a tenancy agreement contain?
A comprehensive tenancy agreement will generally include the following terms:
- Identified property and term of tenancy;
- Payment of rent and utilities: such payments include any charges, subscriptions or license fees. The tenancy agreement may also require the tenant to put up a security deposit which may be forfeited if the property has incurred damage that requires repairs, or if the tenant fails to comply with the terms of the tenancy agreement;
- Use of premises;
- Immigration status of tenant and occupiers;
- Maintenance of premises and effects;
- Tenant’s covenants: e.g. to pay rent, to keep in repair, permit landlord to view the premises, not to assign or sublet;
- Landlord’s covenants: e.g. to provide quiet enjoyment of the premises, to provide premises fit for human habitation, and to not derogate from the grant;
- Termination of lease;
- Suspension of rent;
- Anticipatory breach; and
- Stamp fees.
Read our other article for more information on common terms in tenancy agreements.
Tenancy agreement template
Need a tenancy agreement template? You can get one here.
Buy Now at 10% OFF
(Use the discount code shown when you enter your email address below)
- Your Guide to Non-Disclosure Agreements in Singapore
- Your Guide to Employment Agreements in Singapore
- Your Guide to Tenancy Agreements in Singapore
- Your Guide to Shareholder Agreements in Singapore
- Your Guide to Partnership Agreements in Singapore
- Your Guide to Distributor Agreements in Singapore
- Your Guide to Consultancy Agreements in Singapore
- Your Guide to Freelance Service Agreements in Singapore
- Your Guide to Service Agreements in Singapore
- Your Guide to Business Referral Agreements in Singapore
- How to Change (or Amend) a Contract in Singapore
- How to Legally Use E-Signatures in Singapore Contracts
- Privity of Contract & When a Third-Party Can Sue You in Singapore
- How to Properly Draft a Contract in Singapore (DIY Guide)
- How to Recover Damages For Breach of Contract in Singapore
- Enforcing Verbal Agreements in Business Contracts
- Requisite elements in the formation of a contract
- Entire Agreement Clauses in Singapore: What are They and What Do They Do?
- Guide to Indemnity Clauses in Singapore Commercial Contracts
- What are Warranties, Conditions and Innominate Terms?
- Implied Terms: Filling in "Gaps" in a Contract
- Breach of Contract in Singapore
- Using Force Majeure/Frustration to Escape Contracts in Singapore
- What is the governing law of a contract?
- Punitive Damages in Singapore Contract Law