How to Vary a Child Custody Order in Singapore

Last updated on May 14, 2021

mother playing with child

Dealing with child custody and care and control matters is possibly one of the most contentious and acrimonious parts of divorce proceedings.

However, even after the court has granted custody and care and control orders (collectively known as “custody orders” in this article), there might be situations in which you feel that the court should vary the custody orders that it has granted to better protect the interests of the child.

This might happen, for example, where the other parent is no longer as interested in the welfare of the child, or where there is new evidence demonstrating that the parent is abusive toward the child that he or she has custody of.

This article therefore aims to inform divorced parents who feel the need to be more involved with their child and want to know how their child custody orders can be varied accordingly.

This article will cover:

What is the Difference Between a Child Custody and Care and Control Order?

You must first note the difference between issues pertaining to custody and those relating to care and control. Child custody grants the custodial parent(s) authority in making major decisions regarding their child. Some of these decisions include matters concerning education, religion and healthcare of the child.

On the other hand, care and control is given to only one parent, who will be involved in the child’s day-to-day matters. Such day-to-day matters will include taking care of the child’s daily needs, fetching him or her from schools, and providing a safe environment for the child to grow in. The other parent not given care and control will be granted access to the child for certain periods.

When Will the Court Vary Child Custody Orders?

Under section 128 of the Women’s Charter, the court may at any time vary or rescind any of child custody orders. However, before the court does so, it must be satisfied that at least one of the three conditions is met:

  1. Either the initial custody order was granted based on misrepresentations made by one party;
  2. The custody order was granted based on a mistaken set of facts that the divorced parties considered to be true at the time the initial order was made; or
  3. There was a material change in circumstances from the time the initial order was made.

1. Misrepresentation or mistake of fact

Courts will generally be willing to make a variation of the custody orders where the initial orders were based on some misrepresentation made by one party, or if the order was granted based on a mistaken set of facts.

For example, the court may vary a custody order where a spouse had given the impression to the court that he or she was going to quit her full-time job, but he or she actually does not. This is because the court may have made the initial order on the basis that the spouse would have more time and capacity to take care of the child if he or she was not working.

2. Material change of circumstances

The courts are known for taking a systematic and practical approach in deciding whether there has been a material change in circumstances. Whether there has been such material change will necessary depend from situation to situation, though there may be a certain set of non-exhaustive factors to determine when a change is said to be of a material nature:

  • When a parent changes his or her job such that his or her financial capabilities to care for the child have been significantly affected as a result of the change;
  • When a parent has been suffering from an illness that forces him or her to spend less time with the child;
  • When a parent may be relocating to another country; and
  • When a parent has been abusive toward his or her child during the time the child was living with the parent.

In considering whether there has been a material change of circumstances, the court is also aware of the fact that the relationship between a parent and a child can strengthen or diminish over a period of time. Thus, there need not be one particular identifiable event that signals there has indeed been such a change of circumstances.

It is possible that over a period of time, the circumstances between the child and parent may sufficiently change such that the child may want to spend a larger amount of time with the parent that he was not initially close to. This too would amount to a material change in circumstance.

Ultimately, in deciding whether to vary a custody order, the courts will have the welfare of the child as the main consideration. A child’s welfare will not be only measured by money or physical comfort, but also in terms of the child’s moral, religious and physical well-being along with his/her ties of affection to the parent.

Where necessary, the judge may ask for social service reports or counselling sessions to assess the child’s and parents’ situation and the type of custody order suited for them. Thus, in situations where the variation of the custody, and care and control order is unlikely to assist the child to grow in a healthy and suitable environment, the courts will decline to make such an order.

How to Vary Custody Orders in Singapore

An application to vary child-related orders pertaining to matters of custody and care and control is to be made by way of summons filed in the suit in which the original order was made.

The summons needs to be accompanied by an affidavit that explains why it would be in the best interests and welfare of the child to vary the orders that were initially made.

The affidavit in support of the summons must include the following information:

  • The names, current ages and dates of birth of each child that is subject to the custody order;
  • The existing orders relating to custody, care and control and access;
  • A table of past variations of custody, care and control and/or access (if any);
  • The applicant’s proposed care plan for the child, including proposed shelter and education-related arrangements;
  • If the applicant intends to move overseas with the child after the order is varied, to state the proposed care plan and the proposed access arrangements for the parent left behind;
  • If the applicant is an undischarged bankrupt, an explanation how that party intends to financially provide for the child; and
  • The applicant’s explanation as to why the proposed variation, instead of the status quo, would be in the best interests and welfare of the child.

Note that an affidavit will have to be filed even if the other party consents to the variation.

There is no limit to the number of times a custody or care and control order can be varied. However, do note that the courts will not take kindly to spurious applications being made to vary such orders when there is no proper basis for doing so.

In such situations, the courts may find that the party is trying to abuse the process of the courts in applying for such variation. They may even award costs penalties against the party making such an application.

The court’s decision on matters pertaining to variation of custody, and care and control orders are appealable, and can be appealed. Any appeals arising from the Family Justice Courts will rise to the General Division of the High Court, and any further appeal arising from the decision of the General Division of the High Court will rest with the Appellate Division of the High Court.

An appeal from the Appellate Division of the High Court to the Court of Appeal will be allowed only where the appeal will raise a point of law of public importance.

What to Do If an Ex-Spouse Does Not Comply with the Variation Order

Even if you have successfully obtained a court order to vary the custody arrangement, there might be instances in which your ex-spouse remains uncooperative to let you have custody, or care and control, of your child. In such scenarios, here are some options on how you may enforce such orders:

1. Try to work it out with your ex-spouse

Your ex-spouse may co-operate with you if you take the effort to reach out to them personally. It may also be advisable to bring in a neutral third-party, such as a family mediation centre or counsellor, to communicate with your ex-spouse effectively.

The session can be useful to explain to your ex-spouse the effect of the variation order and how they will not be removed from the lives of their children completely.

2. File for contempt of court

You can also opt to file for contempt of court proceedings against your ex-spouse if he or she refuses to comply with the variation order. However, note that it may take some time for you to successfully file and prosecute such an action. This is because it may take anytime from 6 weeks to 3 months for the court to decide on the merits of such an application.

Additionally, you may have to produce compelling evidence to show that your ex-spouse was intentionally disobeying the court order for custody, care and control matters.

The punishment for contempt of court is a fine up to $20,000 and/or jailed up to 12 months.

Filing for contempt of court proceedings in itself will not assist you in enforcing the child custody order. However, your ex-spouse may be less willing to disobey the order when they take into account the adverse consequences of not complying with such an order.

Do note that if you pursue this line of action, you are more likely to aggravate the relationship between you and your ex-spouse, and this may not be advisable in the long run.

Ultimately, you may want to consider approaching one of our divorce lawyers to decide whether it is best to seek a variation of a child custody or care and control order.

This is because you want to make sure that there is a sound basis for you making such a request so as to ensure that the court recognises that you are making a meritorious application. The divorce lawyer can also assist you in preparing for the application of the variation by preparing the relevant forms that you will have to file in court.

You can get in touch with experienced divorce lawyers here.

Before getting a divorce
  1. Drafting a Deed of Separation in Singapore (Instead of Divorcing)
  2. Alternatives to Divorce in Singapore: A Practical Guide
  3. Process for Getting Divorced in Singapore (With Diagram)
  4. What are the Legal Grounds for Getting a Divorce?
  5. 3 Finance Questions To Ask Before a Divorce
  6. Practical Preparations for a Divorce
  7. How to Divorce Within 3 Years of Marriage in Singapore
  8. Getting Divorced: Documents and Evidence to Prepare
  9. Getting a Divorce Due to “Irreconcilable Differences” in Singapore
  10. Online Divorce in Singapore: How It Works and Should You Get One?
  11. How Can I Divorce Overseas After Marrying in Singapore?
Divorce Fees
  1. Comprehensive Guide to Divorce Fees in Singapore
Getting a Divorce Lawyer
  1. 7 Experienced Female Divorce Lawyers in Singapore (2024)
  2. Can a Divorcing Couple Use the Same Lawyer? Pros and Cons
  3. 7 Best Divorce and Family Lawyers in Singapore (2024)
  4. The Complete Guide to Choosing a Good Divorce Lawyer in Singapore
  5. Don’t Just Go for the Cheapest Divorce Lawyer in Singapore
  6. Find Highly Rated Divorce Lawyers in Singapore
  7. Child Custody Lawyers in Singapore: Do I Need One?
Proving Irretrievable Breakdown of Marriage
  1. How to Prove Adultery for Divorce Purposes in Singapore
  2. Getting a Divorce: How to Prove Desertion
  3. Getting a Divorce by Mutual Agreement in Singapore
  4. How to Prove Unreasonable Behaviour in a Singapore Divorce
  5. How to Prove Separation for a Singapore Divorce
Application for Divorce Part I: Dissolution of Marriage
  1. Your Spouse Doesn't Want to Divorce: What to Do
  2. Procedure for Dissolution of Marriage
  3. Simplified Uncontested Divorce vs Contested Divorce in Singapore
  4. Mandatory Parenting Programme Guide for Divorcing Parents
  5. Divorce Mediation in Singapore
  6. Divorce Application: What to Do If Your Spouse Cannot be Found
Application for Divorce Part 2: Ancillary Matters (Maintenance, Assets, Custody)
  1. Contempt of Court in Divorce: When You Can be Punished
  2. Guide to Co-Parenting for Divorcing Parents in Singapore
  3. Procedure for Ancillary Matters
  4. Maintenance of Spouse in a Singapore Divorce
  5. Filling in a Matrimonial Property Plan for a Singapore Divorce
  6. Dividing Matrimonial Assets in a Singapore Divorce
  7. What Happens to Your HDB Flat after Divorce?
  8. What Happens to Gifts Between Spouses During a Divorce?
  9. What Happens to Property and Assets Located Overseas Upon a Divorce in Singapore?
  10. Child Custody, Care and Control & Access: Singapore Guide
  11. Getting Divorced: Child Maintenance in Singapore
  12. Singapore Divorcee's Guide to Relocating Your Child Overseas
  1. How to Vary a Child Custody Order in Singapore
  2. How to Appeal Your Divorce Case in Singapore
  3. Divorce Certs in Singapore: How to Get a Copy and Other FAQs
  4. Transfer of Matrimonial Home to Ex-Spouse After Divorce
  5. Can Divorcees Buy or Rent HDB Flats, and How?
  6. What to Do If Your Ex-Spouse Does Not Provide Maintenance
  7. How to Vary a Maintenance Order After a Singapore Divorce
  8. What to Do If Your Ex-Spouse Denies You Access to Your Child
  9. Division of CPF Assets (Monies, House, Investments) After a Divorce
Expatriate Divorce
  1. Divorce for British Expats: Spousal Maintenance Under the Law of England and Wales
  2. Settling Ancillary Matters in Singapore After Foreign Divorce
  3. Typical issues in Singapore/England Divorces
  4. Immigration Issues for Divorcing Expatriates
  5. Can Foreigners Divorce in Singapore?
  6. Expat or Foreigner Divorce in Singapore: 10 Legal Issues to Consider
  7. Hague Convention: Overseas Child Abduction in Singapore Divorce
  8. Case Study: Cross-Border Child Custody and the Hague Convention on International Child Abduction
  9. Can British Expats in Singapore Choose to Divorce in England?
  10. Divorce for British Expats: Approach to Matrimonial and Non-Matrimonial Assets in England vs Singapore
  11. Divorce for British Expats: How the English Courts Deal with Financial Matters
Muslim or Syariah Divorce
  1. Fasakh in a Muslim Divorce in Singapore: Grounds & Process
  2. Divorce by Cerai Taklik: Guide for Muslim Wives in Singapore
  3. Muslim Divorce in Singapore
  4. Talak in a Muslim Divorce in Singapore (and Its Effects)
  5. Guide to Divorcing by Khuluk for Muslim Wives in Singapore
  6. Applying for Nafkah Idaah and Mutaah in a Muslim Divorce in Singapore
Other divorce matters
  1. Guide to Personal Protection Orders in Singapore
  2. Case Study - Love conquers All: The Divorce That Didn’t Happen
  1. Annulling a Singapore Marriage: Requirements and Process
  2. What Happens to Your HDB Flat After an Annulment?
  1. Separation in Singapore Via Deed of Separation and More
  2. Judicial or Legal Separation in Singapore: When and How to File
Prenuptial and Post-Nuptial Agreements
  1. Prenuptial Agreements in Singapore
  2. Should You Make a Post-Nuptial Agreement in Singapore?