What can I do if a Chinese funeral or a Malay wedding creates a noisy annoyance in the void deck?

Last updated on May 2, 2011


Do you live in a HDB estate? Whether you are a student cramming for exams, or an adult looking for some peace and quiet after a hard day’s work, you will doubtlessly have encountered and become frustrated by noisy neighbours perusing the communal halls or pavilions for celebrations or funerals.

Under the regulations of the Town Councils in Singapore, a person can choose to book a common area with said councils by paying a stipulated fee, and use such venues for weddings or funerals. However, if the noise generated goes beyond reasonable levels, you may choose to contact your respective Town Council to lodge a complaint. If the noise persists between 10.30pm to around 7am, it is appropriate for you to contact the police, by calling the police hotline 1800-2550000, who may then dispatch officers to quell the disturbance. Alternatively, they may recommend the neighbours to undergo mediation, or even advise them to submit written complaints to the Magistrate’s Court.

Pursuant to section 14 of the Miscellaneous Offences (Public Order and Nuisance) Act, generating excessive noise that may cause an annoyance to others is an offence punishable with a fine. However, the authorities would usually only enforce this punishment in extreme cases.

For more information on the appropriate authorities to approach, click here.

For related information on the permissible noise generated by construction sites, industrial activities or traffic, click here.

Buying and selling a property
  1. What if the seller does not turn up for the First Appointment?
  2. Joint ownership in Singapore and unequal contributions to purchase price
  3. Caveats and Home Ownership in Singapore
  4. Types of property and home ownership in Singapore
  5. What are the duties of an estate agent in Singapore?
  6. The Conveyancing Process in Singapore
  7. Co-Owner Refuses to Sell Your Singapore Property: What to Do
  8. Getting a Mortgage Redemption in Singapore
  9. Buying a Property on Trust for Your Child
  10. Transfer of Property in Singapore
  11. Buying Property in Singapore: How to Pay for Your Property
  12. Refinancing Your Home Loan
  13. Common Terms in Sale & Purchase Agreements
  14. Decoupling to Beat the Additional Buyer's Stamp Duty
  15. Converting a Joint Tenancy to a Tenancy-in-Common
  16. How Can I Buy My Co-Owner’s Share of the Property?
  17. Purchasing a Property on an “As Is Where Is” Basis: What Does it Mean?
  18. The Essential Guide to Buyer’s Stamp Duties in Singapore
  19. Option to Purchase: 6 Things to Know Before Exercising It
  20. HDB Resale Process: Selling Your HDB Flat Without an Agent
  21. Property Auction: How to Buy a House in Distressed Sales and More
  22. Why and How to Lodge a Caveat on a Property in Singapore
Renovation disputes
  1. Renovation Disputes in Singapore
  2. Your Contractor Damaged Your Neighbour's Property. Can You Be Made Liable?
Tenancy disputes
  1. What If I Have a Tenancy Dispute or Complaint in Singapore?
  2. Tenant-Landlord Rights in Singapore
  3. Dispute With Your Condo’s Management or MCST: What to Do
  4. Are Landlords, Tenants, and Agents Liable for Sex Trade in HDB flats/Condominiums?
  5. 6 Common Terms in Tenancy Agreements & What They Mean
  6. Is Airbnb Illegal in Singapore?
  7. Landlord Won’t Return Your Security Deposit: What to Do
  8. Applying for a Writ of Distress When a Singapore Tenant Owes You Rent
  9. Landlord’s Guide to Evicting a Problematic Tenant in Singapore
Neighbour disputes
  1. What can I do if a Chinese funeral or a Malay wedding creates a noisy annoyance in the void deck?
  2. How to Resolve Disputes with a Neighbour from Hell in Singapore
  3. What is the Tort of Interference with Land? What is the rule in Rylands v Fletcher?
  4. Ceiling Leaks: What Can I Do?