What can I do if my employer refuses to pay my agreed salary?
If you are an employee working informally without the protection of a formal contract, you may find yourself in a situation where your employer flagrantly refuses to pay your salary.
Under the Employment Act, an employer must pay your wages within 7 days of a “salary period”. A salary period cannot exceed one month, to protect the employee’s interests by ensuring that he is paid on a regular basis, at least once a month. Most salary periods are either one month, or 2 weeks.
In contrast, overtime work can be paid by the employer within 14 days of the salary period. A different time limit also applies to the payment of salary for termination or dismissal of employment. For more information on the time limit for payment of salary, click here.
If your employer has not paid your salary in accordance to the above, you should contact the Ministry of Manpower to lodge a complaint. For details on how to do so, click here.
For more information on the payment of salary, as governed by the Employment Act, click here.
- What can I do if my employer refuses to pay my agreed salary?
- 2019 Guide to Maternity Leave for Expecting Mothers in Singapore
- What is the employer's golden rule in the prevention of workplace injuries?
- Is it sufficient for employers to follow industrial wide practices for employee safety measures?
- Can Your Boss Ask You to Work on a Public Holiday in Singapore?
- How to Write a Fair and Accurate Employee Reference Letter
- The Expecting Father's Guide to Paternity Leave in Singapore
- Who is Covered Under the Singapore Employment Act?
- Employee CPF Contribution: What are Your Employer Obligations?
- Can I terminate an employment contract without paying the compensation stipulated in the contract?
- Overview of Employment Law in Singapore
- Is Your Non-Compete Clause Enforceable in Singapore?
- Contracts OF Service vs Contracts FOR Service in Singapore: What’s the Difference?
- What are Non-Solicitation Clauses? Are They Enforceable in Singapore?