What Happens If Your Ex-Spouse Does Not Provide Maintenance?

Last updated on February 15, 2018

You may have received a maintenance order from the Judge for your spouse to provide maintenance for your child, yourself, or the both of you. However, your spouse has defaulted on maintenance payments. What can you do to enforce the order?

Lodging a Complaint

You may lodge a complaint to enforce the maintenance order before a District Judge or Magistrate in the Family Court. However, you need not necessarily travel to the Family Court to make the complaint. You can either choose to do it in person at the Family Court, or via video conference at the Singapore Council of Women’s Organisations. Each complaint filed will be charged at a nominal fee of $1. To avoid delays, it is advisable that you call to make an appointment before heading down. These are the designated locations where such complaints can be filed as well.

The addresses of the Singapore Council of Women’s Organisations is as follows:

Maintenance Support Central (Singapore Council of Women’s Organisations)

96 Waterloo Street S187967

Contact number: 6571 0185

You should bring the following items with you when you approach it for assistance:

  1.       Your identification card
  2.       Photocopies of your marriage certificate (if applicable)
  3.       Photocopies of your children’s birth certificate(s) (if applicable)
  4.       Order of the Court previously granted (ie the original maintenance order)

What Happens after a Complaint is Lodged?

After a complaint is filed, the State Courts will serve a Summon on the person against whom the complaint was filed. A date for the Mention of the case will be set, and the complainant will be informed of the date. The Mention and Hearing will be held at the Family Court, and the complainant will have to be present in person.

At the Mention, both the Complainant and the Respondent will have to be present. During this time, the Judge will determine if the case may be resolved by mutual agreement, order evidence such as salary slips to be provided, and determine the length of Hearing required. Complainants or Respondents who wish to call for witnesses may inform the Judge during this time. The Judge may also direct the Respondent to provide reasons why he/she breached the maintenance order.

If the case involves no dispute over the maintenance, the Hearing may be held on the same day as the Mention. Otherwise, it will be conducted on a separate day. The Hearing may last from hours to days, depending on the complexity of the case. During the hearing, both sides will submit their documentary evidence and cross-examination will take place. Arguments will also be made for both sides. The Judge will then come to a decision and give his orders.

What Happens to the Defaulting Spouse?

The Judge has several courses of action against the defaulting spouse who failed to provide maintenance. Under section 71 of the Women’s Charter, the defaulting spouse may be fined or imprisoned for up to 1 month. Even if imprisonment is meted out, this does not excuse the defaulter from making payment upon release.

Beyond such sanctions, the Court may order for financial counselling, especially in cases where the defaulters themselves are in financial difficulties. The Court may also make an order for the defaulter to perform unpaid community service for up to 40 hours. Another move the Court can make is to give an attachment of earnings order – which compels the defaulter’s employer to deduct the maintenance money from his/her monthly wage and pay it to the Court. Complainants can also get a credit bureau to list the debt in a defaulter’s credit report, which can be accessed by banks and financial institutions. Should the defaulter desire to take out loans or sign up for hire-purchase schemes in future, it will be very difficult for him/her to do so.

What Else Can You Do?

Even if you may feel aggrieved that your spouse is not providing maintenance, you should continue to perform the duties required of you. For example, if you are the parent with care and control of your children, you should continue to grant access to your spouse.

Despite the changes made to streamline the process for filing complaints and to provide more options for Courts to deal with defaulters, persistent defaulters may still get away simply by refusing to pay. This will force their spouses to return to Court frequently each time they default on payment, causing them to incur additional legal expenses. This also causes cases to drag on indefinitely. Some do so in the hopes that the complaining spouse might give up after a while, given the hassle of repeatedly filing for complaints. If you are in such a situation, you may want to consider applying to Court to vary the monthly maintenance payments to a lump sum maintenance payment instead. Speak to one of our experienced divorce lawyers if you want to find out more about how to do so.

Before getting a divorce
  1. How to Get a Divorce in Singapore in 2019: Process and Requirements
  2. How Can I Divorce Overseas?
  3. Mandatory Parenting Programme Guide for Divorcing Parents
  4. Online Divorce in Singapore: How It Works and Should You Get One?
  5. Getting a Divorce Due to “Irreconcilable Differences” in Singapore
  6. Judicial or Legal Separation in Singapore: When and How to File
  7. How to Get a Divorce Within 3 Years of Marriage
  8. Personal Protection Orders (PPOs), Expedited Orders (EOs) and Domestic Exclusion Orders (DEOs) in Singapore
  9. Prenuptial Agreements in Singapore
  10. What are the Legal Grounds for Getting a Divorce?
  11. Separation in Singapore
  12. Annulment of Marriage in Singapore
  13. Practical Preparations for a Divorce
  14. 3 Finance Questions To Ask Before a Divorce
Divorce Fees
  1. Comprehensive Guide to Divorce Fees in Singapore
Getting a Divorce Lawyer
  1. The Complete Guide to Choosing a Good Divorce Lawyer in Singapore
  2. First Meeting with Your Divorce Lawyer: What to Bring
  3. Don’t Just Go for the Cheapest Divorce Lawyer in Singapore
  4. Find Experienced Divorce Lawyers in Singapore
  5. Child Custody Lawyers in Singapore
Proving Irretrievable Breakdown of Marriage
  1. How to Prove Adultery for Divorce Purposes in Singapore
  2. Getting a Divorce: How to Prove Desertion
  3. How to Prove Unreasonable Behaviour
  4. How to Prove Separation for a Singapore Divorce
Application for Divorce Part I: Dissolution of Marriage
  1. Procedure for Dissolution of Marriage
  2. Divorce Mediation in Singapore
  3. Divorce Application: What to Do If Your Spouse Cannot be Found
  4. Simplified Uncontested Divorce vs Contested Divorce in Singapore
Application for Divorce Part 2: Ancillary Matters (Maintenance, Assets, Custody)
  1. Procedure for Ancillary Matters
  2. What Happens to Gifts Between Spouses During a Divorce?
  3. What Happens to Property and Assets Located Overseas Upon a Divorce in Singapore?
  4. Getting Divorced: Child Maintenance in Singapore
  5. Singapore Divorcee's Guide to Relocating Your Child Overseas
  6. Maintenance of Spouse in a Singapore Divorce
  7. Guide to Child Custody, Care and Control, and Access in Singapore
  8. How Does the Court Divide Matrimonial Assets in a Singapore Divorce?
  1. What Happens to Your HDB Flat after Divorce?
  2. Variation of Maintenance Orders in Singapore
  3. Division of CPF Assets (Monies, House, Investments) after a Divorce
  4. Divorce Certificates in Singapore: How to Get a Copy and Other FAQs
  5. Transfer of Matrimonial Home to Ex-Spouse After Divorce
  6. What to Do If Your Ex-Spouse Denies You Access to Your Child
  7. What Happens If Your Ex-Spouse Does Not Provide Maintenance?
Expatriate Divorce
  1. Can Foreigners Divorce in Singapore?
  2. Expat or Foreigner Divorce in Singapore: 10 Legal Issues to Consider
  3. Immigration Issues for Divorcing Expatriates
  4. Hague Convention: Overseas Child Abduction in Singapore Divorce
  5. Case Study: Cross-Border Child Custody and the Hague Convention on International Child Abduction
Muslim or Syariah Divorce
  1. Muslim Divorce in Singapore
  2. Applying for Nafkah Idaah and Mutaah in a Muslim Divorce in Singapore
Other divorce matters
  1. What Happens to Your HDB Flat after an Annulment?
  2. Case Study - Love conquers All: The Divorce That Didn’t Happen