What if my neighbour creates a disturbance or deliberately tries to annoy me?

Last updated on March 11, 2019

Chances are, you’ve heard of the Everitt Road spat that took place years ago between warring neighbours. Legal recourse is available if you feel that your neighbour has interfered with your enjoyment of land or property.

If the transgression is relatively minor, you should contact your HDB branch office. For example, if a neighbour’s air-conditioning unit is too noisy and keeps you up at night, let the HDB authorities know. Better yet, tell your neighbours yourself to seek an amicable solution.

If your neighbour harasses you in a deliberate and obvious manner, such as using words to insult or belittle you, you can make a police report. Harassment with words or behaviour, causing distress to the victim, is an offence under the Protection against Harassment Act.

Pursuant to section 14 of the Miscellaneous Offences (Public Order and Nuisance) Act, generating excessive noise that may cause an annoyance to others is an offence punishable with a fine. However, the authorities would usually only enforce this punishment in extreme cases.

Other manners of nuisance may be less obvious. For example, a neighbour who deliberately tries to annoy you by banging on his floor. If, in spite of the intervention of the HDB authorities, you find that these annoyances continue, consider taking legal action against the perpetrators. You may need to engage a lawyer or register for legal aid at a Legal Aid Bureau.

Under the tort of nuisance, a person who has locus standi, meaning that he has a proprietary interest in the property or land, such as an owner of a HDB flat, can sue another for interfering with his peaceful enjoyment of property. The victim must prove that the interference is reasonably foreseeable by the perpetrator, and that it is a continuous interference.

Buying and selling a property
  1. What if the seller does not turn up for the First Appointment?
  2. Joint ownership in Singapore and unequal contributions to purchase price
  3. Caveats and Home Ownership in Singapore
  4. Types of property and home ownership in Singapore
  5. What are the duties of an estate agent in Singapore?
  6. The Conveyancing Process in Singapore
  7. Selling Property as a Tenant in Common
  8. Getting a Mortgage Redemption in Singapore
  9. Buying a property on trust for your child
  10. Transfer of Property in Singapore
  11. Buying Property in Singapore: How to Pay for Your Property
  12. Refinancing Your Home Loan
  13. Common Terms in Sale & Purchase Agreements
  14. Decoupling to Beat the Additional Buyer's Stamp Duty
  15. Converting a Joint Tenancy to a Tenancy-in-Common
  16. How Can I Buy My Co-Owner’s Share of the Property?
  17. Purchasing a Property on an “As Is Where Is” Basis: What Does it Mean?
  18. The Essential Guide to Buyer’s Stamp Duties in Singapore
  19. Option to Purchase: 6 Things to Know Before Exercising It
  20. HDB Resale Process: How to Sell Your HDB Flat Without an Agent
  21. Property Auction: How to Buy a House in Distressed Sales and More
Renovation disputes
  1. Renovation Disputes in Singapore
  2. Your Contractor Damaged Your Neighbour's Property. Can You Be Made Liable?
Tenancy disputes
  1. What If I have a Tenancy Dispute or Complaint in Singapore?
  2. Tenant-Landlord Rights in Singapore
  3. Dispute With Your Condominium’s Management or MCST: What to Do
  4. Are Landlords, Tenants, and Agents Liable for Sex Trade in HDB flats/Condominiums?
  5. 6 Common Terms in Tenancy Agreements & What They Mean
  6. Is Airbnb Illegal in Singapore?
  7. Landlord Won’t Return Your Security Deposit: What to Do
  8. Applying for a Writ of Distress When a Singapore Tenant Owes You Rent
  9. Landlord’s Guide to Evicting a Problematic Tenant in Singapore
Neighbour disputes
  1. How to Solve Neighbour Disputes
  2. What can I do if a Chinese funeral or a Malay wedding creates a noisy annoyance in the void deck?
  3. What if my neighbour creates a disturbance or deliberately tries to annoy me?
  4. What is the Tort of Interference with Land? What is the rule in Rylands v Fletcher?
  5. Ceiling Leaks: What Can I Do?