What is the law on pornography in Singapore?
Pornographic material includes any forms of media, such as books, films and digital files, showing obscene or sexual behaviour.
It is against the law to keep, distribute or sell pornographic materials, under the Undesirable Publications Act, as well as section 292 of the Penal Code. It is also against the law to keep, distribute or sell pornographic films under sections 29 and 30 of the Films Act.
However, if you accidentally stumble upon a pornographic website, it is not illegal to view the pornographic content contained within, as long as you do not download any such obscene files and store them within your computer.
It would appear that authorities in Singapore do not actively enforce such laws on pornography, possibly due to the difficulty as well as the widespread prevalence. In 2004, NCMP Steve Chia was let off with a warning after being found in possession of an obscene film.
- Police Investigation Process in Singapore
- When Can the Police Arrest Someone?: Arrestable and Non-Arrestable Offences in Singapore
- Police Arrest Procedure in Singapore
- Can a civilian arrest a criminal in Singapore?
- Is lying to the police or authorities a punishable offence in Singapore?
- Surrender of Passport to the Police and How to Get It Back
- What to Do If You’re Being Investigated for a Criminal Offence in Singapore
- Can You Say No to a Lie Detector Test in Singapore? And Other FAQs
- Criminal Compensation in Singapore
- What Can I Do to Protect Myself in Self-Defence in Singapore?
- Claiming trial as an accused
- Mitigation Plea
- Pleading Guilty
- Criminal Appeals in Singapore
- Presidential Clemency in Singapore
- Probation in Singapore: Are You Eligible? Will You Have a Criminal Record?
- What Should You Do If You Witness a Crime in Singapore?
- Reformative Training in Singapore: When will it be Ordered?
- Visiting a Loved One in Prison (And on Death Row) in Singapore
- Is it illegal to visit prostitutes in Singapore?
- What is the law on pornography in Singapore?
- What are Singapore’s laws on drug consumption?
- When is Gambling Illegal in Singapore?
- Is Vaping Illegal in Singapore?
- DUI: Here are the Penalties for Drink-Driving in Singapore
- What is the Legal Drinking Age in Singapore? And Other Drinking-Related Laws
- The Difference Between Murder and Culpable Homicide in Singapore
- Is it illegal to commit suicide in Singapore? Will I be punished if my attempt at suicide fails?
- Is it illegal to feed stray animals in Singapore?
- What are Sham Marriages and are They Illegal in Singapore?
- Public Assemblies and Processions in Singapore: Police Permits and the Public Order Act
- What is the offence of Rioting?
- Voluntarily Causing Hurt in Singapore
- Misbehaving in public: 5 things you need to know
- Is it Legal for Drivers to Carpool in Singapore?
- Guide to E-Scooter/Personal Mobility Device (PMD) Laws in Singapore
- Is Joining a Gang Illegal in Singapore?: Penalties and Being Recruited
- What Happens If You’re Caught Speeding in Singapore?
- Charged with a Traffic Offence in Singapore: What to Do