Alfred graduated with a LL.B (Hons), University of Warwick, UK. He also graduated with a Postgraduate Diploma in Singapore Law, National University of Singapore. He also pursued a Postgraduate Diploma in Christian Studies at Regent Theological College, Vancouver, B.C. Canada. Aside from his legal practice, he has also experience in social work and counselling in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
Alfred is the Managing Director of Dodwell & Co LLC. He is a senior member of the bar in Singapore, having practised as a litigation lawyer since 1996. He trained at Allen & Gledhill under 2 esteemed Senior Counsels and practised also at Tan Rajah & Cheah and Drew & Napier before carving out a niche litigation practice at Dodwell & Co LLC.
Alfred brings his years of litigation experience to the firm which he strives to be a firm that is reputed for its personalized service and personal attendance to its cases. He personally oversees matters to ensure that every client is provided with careful strategic planning, and client care is always at the heart of the stellar legal services.
Civil litigation requires an astute knowledge of the laws and the practical environment in which one operates. Alfred have been involved in numerous trials and garnered valuable experience that could make or break the trial.
Alfred has acted for different types of clients over the years, from Corporations to individuals.
Aflred makes it a point to ensure that his clients are well-advised and understand the legal proceedings. Alfred keeps his clients updated of their matters promptly as he value the professional relationship he share with my clients. Alfred strives to make the legal proceedings a smooth process for his clients.
Alfred has had conduct many trials in the State Courts and in the HIgh Court and appeals in the HIgh Court and the Court of Appeal on almost all aspects of criminal matters, involving almost all ranges of offences from in the Penal Code.
Alfred has also acted for clients charged with breach of directors' duties, fraudulent trading under the Companies Act, market manipulation and inside trading under the Securities and Futures Act.
Alfred has represented clients in cases involving money-laundering, corruption, cheating, fraud, molest and criminal breach of trust.
Alfred prides himself that he and his team will leave no stones unturn in their meticulous planning, strategy to tackle the case and on-point legal research. He prides himself that that we ensure that we seek to discuss the case and strategy from the outset, to seek to gather all relevant evidence to support a submission that no offence had been committed; or alternatively that a lesser offence is made out by all the available facts.
Alfred always seek to present his clients' cases with a good strategy to run a plausible defence, and to use his good oratory skillls of persuasiveness, courage and balance.
Alfred holds the opinion that his duty is to ensure a qualitative and robust defence and/or representations and/or mitigation.
Alfred has gained a good reputation to be a lawyer who cares and seeks to help clients navigate this very difficult chapter of their life when marriages and relationships break down and you need a lawyer who is also your counsellor, your friend, your confidante and who can act for you, in your best interest and in ensuring that your children are also protected in the proceedings. He has acted for many clients over the years in family and matrimonial disputes.
Alfred strives to obtain meticulous and client orientated results that does not translate into a worthless paper judgment. Even though your marriage is shipwrecked, the salvage has begun and Alfred wants to assist you in re-establishing your life and move forward in the right direction. Alfred maintains that he is not just your lawyer, but your counsel through this process so that you know that your interest is protected.
Whatever the stakes, Alfred is able to provide you with a result-oriented representation.
Media & Publications
28. Mother of ex-national table tennis player Li Hu given six weeks’ jail – Channel NewsAsia, 30 January 2018
27. Mother of ex-national table tennis player Li Hu on trial for offering a bribe – Channel NewsAsia, 2 October 2017
26. US asylum grant is a good thing for Amos Yee: Lawyer Alfred Dodwell – The Independent Singapore, 29 September 2017
25. Retired lecturer jailed for inciting violence – Straits Times, 1 August 2017
24. Poly lecturer admits to inciting violence online – Straits Times, 11 April 2017
23. Singapore jails man over Facebook post calling for murder of policemen – International Business Times, 20 October 2016
22. Man jailed 6 months for inciting violence against cop, NEA officers – Yahoo News, 20 October 2016
21. Comment: On lawyers and our traditions – Yahoo Singapore, 23 May 2016
19. Gallows for Sarawakian Jabing, Singapore court turns down appeal – New Straits Times, 20 May 2016
18. Death sentence for convicted murder Kho Jabing will hold – Today Singapore, 20 May 2016
17. Man charged for urging violence against police officers who arrested Benjamin Lim – Channel NewsAsia, 12 April 2016
16. Amos Yee given 4-week backdated jail term; blogger is ‘remorseful’, says lawyer – Channel NewsAsia, 6 July 2015
15. Court to decide on teen blogger Amos Yee’s case on May 12 – Straits Times, 8 May 2015
14. Assault on Amos Yee draws sharp criticism – Today Singapore, 30 April 2015
13. Amos Yee, who has three lawyers now, has been bailed out by a counsellor – Straits Times, 21 April 2015
12. Elderly parents didn’t authorise lawyers to act – Straits Times, 14 January 2014
11. Stand up to the public transport pervert – Her World, January 2014 Issue
10. He makes much noise over alleged ‘protection’ – The New Paper, 24 September 2013
9. Girl, 17, sells body for cash to party – The New Paper, 19 September 2013
8. Your Financial BFFs – Her World, August 2013 Issue
7. “I was battered, bruised and all alone” – Her World, August 2013 Issue
6. Madam Yvonne Goh Mei Ling claims that Mr Eric Goh Wai Mun tried to head-butt her – AsiaOne, 7 April 2013
5. The Cost of Breaking Up – Her World, April 2013 Issue
4. CJ says industry needs to make sure legal services are affordable to most – AsiaOne, 4 February 2013
3. Vegetable seller jailed for heading casino betting syndicate – Yahoo!Newsroom, 15 November 2011
2. Speaker at Financial Issues in Matrimonial Disputes Jointly Organised by Singapore Academy of Law and NUS Faculty of Law – Supreme Court Auditorium, 24 May 2011
1. I was tricked into marrying her – AsiaOne, 19 February 2008