Wei Chin is primarily involved in various aspects of commercial and litigation practice, and has a broad range of practice areas covering both disciplines. He had the privilege of being featured on Channel 8 News several times to provide his legal opinions.
In the field of litigation, Wei Chin has been lead counsel for many types of matters and clients such as:
- Submitting and presenting mitigation pleas successfully to obtain lighter sentences for clients charged in criminal matters, including non-custodial sentences
- Divorce and ancillary matters disputes, including helping parties through Court Mediation
- Private prosecutions for a government statutory board and obtaining deterrent sentences against the offenders
- General solicitors’ work in extracting Grant of Probate and Letters of Administration
- General solicitors’ work in managing landlord and tenancy agreements and disputes
- General Commercial Drafting and Advisory Work
His wide range of experience in litigation includes tenancy disputes, writs of possession, claims concerning breaches of director’s duties, probate matters, criminal matters, matrimonial matters and various other types of litigation work.
Wei Chin has also advised government agencies and statutory boards, helping them to resolve disputes through negotiations and litigation, depending on their goals and aims.
Wei Chin also takes on commercial contract drafting and contractual negotiation work to protect the interest of his clients when they are entering commercial deals. He has experience being a legal advisor to a local tertiary educational institute and assisted in vetting their intellectual property contracts.
Commercial & Property Disputes
- Lead counsel in contract dispute regarding business consultancy agreements,
limitation issues and Legal Profession Act.
- Lead counsel in construction dispute with interior designer for defective works.
- Lead counsel in a supply agreement dispute concerning a local beautician boutique.
- Negotiating a successful settlement involving a potentially Michelin-starred restaurant and its renovation contractors, avoiding a lawsuit of close to $0.4 million.
- Lead counsel in securing an acquittal for client charged with criminal trespass and outrage of modesty in Marina Bay Sand hotel.
- Lead counsel in High Court defamation claim.
- Assisting counsel in obtaining a Mareva Injunction for a claim amounting to more than S$3 million.
- Negotiating a successful settlement involving an anti-competition lawsuit by a large rice supplier, thus preventing a prohibitive injunction.
- Advising and successfully negotiating a settlement for a government statutory board concerning a dispute with an oil supplier.
Wei Chin is well-versed with a variety of family law issues that the common man may face: divorce, personal protection orders, maintenance claims, custody disputes etc. He manages the troubled emotions that his clients undergoing such proceedings may face, but also applies expert legal knowledge to achieve the best outcome for his clients. In many instances, Wei Chin helps parties in a divorce to reach settlement rather than having to fight a long-drawn legal battle.
Wei Chin also does other non-contentious family work such as deputy applications for the mentally-incapacitated, wills, probate and letters of administration. He provides expert help to his clients in the finer aspects of estate planning too.
Wei Chin is an accomplished Defence Counsel who has successfully defended his clients from criminal charges at trial. He is also proficient in mitigating for clients who wish to plead guilty and obtained significantly lighter sentences for them. Wei Chin, having served his National Service in the Police Force, is also able to conduct private criminal prosecutions and has acted for statutory boards in this aspect.
Wei Chin has dealt with a wide array of cases in the realm of general litigation. His experience extends into contractual breach, company shareholder/directors disputes, accident claims, landlord-tenancy disputes, employment issues, debt recovery and a host of other matters. His approach towards litigation involves balancing the costs involved with the beneficial outcome available to his clients. He has also advised statutory boards and large companies in litigation matters and successfully negotiated positive settlements for them.
Media & Publications
- Profile and testimonial reviews on Singapore Legal Advice
- Write-up on Singapore Legal Advice’s Instagram page
- “Scam victim’s $10,001 used to buy Bitcoin; High Court rules crypto seller gets the money” (The Straits Times)
- “Man gets jail, fine over scheme to smuggle 12 dogs, 1 cat into S'pore; 2 dogs died in lorry” (TODAY)
- Video interview with Channel 8 (Mediacorp) on whether online reviews are considered defamatory
- Video interview with Channel 8 (Mediacorp) on personal data protection in light of precautionary personal data collection for contact tracing during the COVID-19 pandemic
- “Expelled scholar filmed women in NTU hall toilet” ( AsiaOne )
- “Detention for former NTU foreign student who filmed student showering” (The Straits Times)
- “Ex-Spring S’pore employees sentenced to jail for fraud” (TODAY)
- “文件：有国大学生曾屡次偷拍儿童如厕” (8world)
- “Former Uber driver gets probation for molesting passenger, but sentence stayed as prosecution seeks jail term” (The Straits Times)
- “离婚情难法更难” ( ZaoBao )
- Case Update: Covenant Chambers acted successfully for Appellant in High Court Appeal regarding seized monies
- Crypto Asset Recovery in Fraud Cases After Police Seizure
Wei Chin volunteered in pro bono legal clinics in 2018 to 2019.
Services & Fees
Please contact Wei Chin for a quotation.