Jonathan believes that access to justice is for all, and that lawyers are gatekeepers who play a crucial role in ensuring this. His goal? To help others rightly understand how the law impacts and affects their lives, and thereafter, to work with them in resolving the situation they are in.
Jonathan’s training is in Dispute Resolution, which also involves processes such as Negotiation and Mediation before or amidst ongoing Litigation. His commitment is to holistic problem-solving through his practice of law, to bring about true reconciliation that will best satisfy his clients’ interests.
Much of his legal practice therefore involves the resolution of disputes, but also often includes non-dispute/contentious matters such as the drafting Wills and Powers of Attorney, Grant of Probate and Estate-related advice, Mental Capacity matters, as well as general advisory work, such as document review and drafting.
With his training and experience in Dispute Resolution and Litigation, Jonathan is competent with handling a diverse range of cases both civil and criminal. His civil practice includes commercial matters and providing advice or representation to institutional clients of all kinds, which has given him a sharp commercial-mindedness in his approach to legal solutions.
His also serves individual clients, by providing assistance and representation in employment disputes, landlord-tenant disputes, matrimonial and divorce cases, community-related disputes such as protection from harassment applications, magistrate’s complaints and private prosecutions, or other private-client related matters.
Jonathan does take a special interest in criminal legal practice, enjoyed a full spectrum of legal work in this area of law, having handled cases which involve offences of varying severity and nature – from common offences to more complex matters such as financial crimes. He is also familiar with trial and appellate processes, as well as various alternative dispute resolution processes.
As part of his mission to make justice accessible to all, Jonathan contributes and serves the wider society by providing pro bono legal services to the vulnerable and under-served communities in society, such as acting for accused persons under the Criminal Legal Aid Scheme (“CLAS”).
He also invests his time in mentoring the younger generation both within the profession and in his local communities, and is also a mentor/module facilitator for the Singapore Bar Examinations and Prepatory Course.
Advice and representation for a wide range of civil dispute matters, pertaining to all aspects of life involving the interests of corporate/institutional clients and individual clients. This includes (see below for more):
- Commercial-related disputes (contractual disputes, loan/debt-recovery, directors or shareholders disputes, insolvency and winding up applications)
- Contract review, drafting and advisory work
- Employment matters (Restrictive Covenants and Restraint of Trade, Termination-related disputes and Salary claims)
Jonathan also has experience advising and representing individual and private clients on a range of matters including (but is not limited to):
- Divorce and Matrimonial matters (including ancillary matters, maintenance claims, custody-child related disputes, personal protection orders, etc.)
- Immigration-related and/or National Service (NS) related concerns
- Personal injury claims
- Community-related disputes, such as landlord-tenant disputes, protection from harassment matters (POHA), magistrate's complaints and private prosecutions
- Medical-related claims (such as claims and disciplinary proceedings against medical professionals)
- Consumer financing matters (including hire-purchase agreement disputes and bankruptcy-related matters)
- Private wealth and Estate-management matters
- Drafting and preparation of Wills, Powers of Attorney and/or Lasting Power of Attorney
- Estate-related disputes and/or potentially contentious Probate and Estate matters
- Applications for the Grant of Probate
- Applications for the Grant of Letters of Administration
- Applications under the Mental Capacity Act for Deputyship
Jonathan has experience advising and representing institutional and individual clients on various commercial-related matters, which include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Commercial-related disputes
- Contract review, drafting and advisory work
- Contractual disputes
- Loan/debt-recovery matters
- Enforcement measures
- Directors or Shareholders disputes
- Insolvency and Winding-up applications
- Employment matters (including):
- Advice on Restrictive Covenants and Restraint of Trade
- Termination-related disputes
- Salary and related claims for damages
Criminal defence, advice and representation at the investigation-stage or in criminal proceedings, and pre-emptive advisory work on compliance or potential criminal offences.
He has handled matters involving (not an exhaustive list):
- A wide-range of offences under the Penal Code
- Employment of Foreign Manpower Act
- Securities and Futures Act
- Misuse of Drugs Act
- Road Traffic Act
- Moneylenders Act
- Prevention of Corruption Act
- Corruption, Drug Trafficking Serious Crimes (Confiscation of Benefits) Act
He is also an active volunteer lawyer with the Law Society’s Criminal Legal Aid Scheme (“CLAS”) assisting in pro bono matters for individuals in need.
Media & Publications
Articles & Publications
- “How the Law can help domestic violence victims in Singapore” (2019)
- “Penalties for Shoplifting in Singapore – As Explained by a Lawyer” (2019)
- “Magistrate’s Complaints in Singapore: A Comprehensive Guide” (2018)
- “Medical Treatment gone wrong: What are your rights as a patient” (2018)
- “Paid in full: Why I Practice Criminal Law” (2018)
- Editorial team, “Good News for Bruised Reeds – Mental Health & The Gospel Community” (Graceworks, 2019)
Services & Fees
Please contact me directly so that we can work out a fee arrangement that best suits your needs.
- Debt Recovery
- Criminal Law
- Deed Polls (Name Change)
- Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA)
- Commercial Disputes
- Personal & Family
- Criminal Defence
- MCST Disputes
- Contract Review
- Business Disputes
- Employment Disputes
- Commercial Crime and Regulatory Compliance
- Drafting IOU / Debt Acknowledgment
- Landlord-Tenant Disputes
- Magistrate's Complaint
- Medical Negligence
- Civil Litigation
- Contractual Disputes
- Personal Legal Procedures
- Personal Protection Order
- Civil Claims
- Protection From Harassment Order
- Copyright Infringement
- Personal Injury
- Debt Recovery for Companies