Mato Kotwani is a lawyer at I.R.B. Law LLP. His practice broadly encompasses Civil Litigation, Commercial and Corporate Law, Employment Law, Criminal Defence, and others. He prides his practice on providing to-the-point advice with a view towards reaching the best outcomes for his clients.
Mato is well-versed among a wide variety of legal matters. His main practice areas include:
- Civil litigation: Representing clients in contractual disputes, debt recovery, negligence proceedings, defamation and more. Mato takes a interest-centric approach to litigation and adopts strategies with a view towards minimising legal costs and maximising outcomes. Mato has successfully represented both Plaintiffs and Defendants in claims involving breach of contract, breach of loan agreements, negligence/personal injury cases, defamation actions and more.
- Commercial/Corporate Law: Mato has acted for individuals as well as companies seeking to set up, structure and/or acquire new businesses, as well as businesses seeking to collaborate with other businesses to work on single/continuing projects.
- Landlord/Tenancy/Strata Property Disputes: Mato has represented both landlords and tenants in tenancy disputes involving non-payment of rent, property damage, failure by the landlord to rectify defects, claims for refunds of security deposits and more. In addition to dispute resolution, Mato also provides advisory work on landlord/tenancy agreements as well as advising and drafting of tenancy agreements. Mato also advises and acts for clients living in condominiums who are involved in MCST disputes.
- Employment law: Mato advises and represents clients involved in matters of wrongful termination/breach of employment contracts and workplace harassment. Additionally, he also advises on and drafts employment contracts.
- Criminal Law: Mato has represented and assisted in the defence of numerous criminal cases including financial crimes, unlicensed moneylending, violent crimes (including rioting and murder) and sexual offences. Mato has successfully defended and assisted accused persons accused of various crimes. As a first measure, Mato tries to maximise outcomes through plea bargaining, and writing representations to have the charges reduced or withdrawn.
- Wills & Probate: Advising on estate planning and drafting wills as well as carrying out probate/letters of administration applications.
- Defamation & Protection from Harassment: Representing clients in Defamation proceedings and applications under the Protection from Harassment Act.
Mato is a versatile lawyer who puts his client’s interests at the forefront. He believes in access to justice and endeavours to provide practical advice which would maximize outcomes for his clients.He adopts a meticulous approach toward case analysis and attention to detail and aims to understand every aspect of each case. Clients throughout Singapore have remained highly satisfied with Mato, a “patient and calm” lawyer who is “able to explain complex legal advice in an easy-to-understand, digestible form”. Mato is a member of the Singapore Academy of Law, Law Society of Singapore, and also volunteers for legal aid schemes. He is highly involved in and aware of the inner-workings of the legal profession in Singapore. His care for the community is also reflected through volunteer work, as he feels strongly about providing whatever assistance he can to the common man.
Representing clients in civil claims including debt recovery, breach of contracts, negligence actions and defamation actions.
Representing clients facing criminal charges, conducting their defence and advising on the best course of action.
Acting for both employers and employees in employment disputes, advising clients on employment law and providing contract reviews for employers and employees.