Raphael Louis, or more commonly known as Ray, is a reputable litigator. Over the years, he has garnered a spread-out experience in cases at the State Court, High Court and Court of Appeal. He constantly receives good reviews from his clients; as of October 2022, he has garnered over 370 reviews (all verified). His reported cases can be found here.
Ray has a firm belief in helping those who cannot help themselves, leading him to set up a legal clinic to provide free counsel and advice to the needy. His work has been featured in the Law Gazette (published by The Law Society of Singapore) and .
Aside from his litigation experience, Ray is also an accredited mediator with the Singapore Mediation Centre and the State Courts of Singapore. His mediation experience involves a wide range of disputes including commercial matters, landlord & tenant and MCST disputes with residents.
In addition to practicing law, Ray is passionate teaching it. He was an adjunct lecturer at Temasek Polytechnic and currently teaches at Executive Counselling and Training Academy, where he lectures on Law and Counselling to students doing the master’s degree in counselling with Swinburne University of Technology. Ray has also been a guest speaker to talk on the Singapore criminal procedures at international schools, as well as a consultant on legal issues in scripts for a Mediacorp television series.
Ray’s main areas of practice includes the following:
· Accident and Negligence
· Protection from Harassment Act (POHA)
· Magistrate’s Complaint
· Divorce, Maintenance, Annulment and Personal Protection Order (PPO)
· Sexual offences (Rape / Voyeurism/Upskirt / Outrage of Modesty, Molest)
· Drug Trafficking, Drug Consumption offences
· Robbery and Theft
· Traffic Offences
Ray Louis is a personal injury lawyer who represents his clients in motor accident and personal injury cases.
Known in the industry as someone who fights hard for his clients, he has handled hundreds of cases in motor accident claims, including a reported case that went all the way to the Court of Appeal. He is a committee member of the Personal Injury and Property Damage Committee of the Law Society of Singapore,
Some of his noteworthy achievements in Accident & Insurance Claims are as follow:
Helped to recover fair and reasonable compensation for his clients in numerous motor accident cases.
Successfully represented his client at the Court of Appeal in the case Fong Khim Ling (administrator of the estate of Fong Ching Pau Lloyd, deceased) v Tan Teck Ann  SGCA 11)
Helped to recover a substantial sum of compensation for a client in a slip and fall accident at a major shopping mall.
Helped to recover compensation for clients in medical negligence cases.
Representing the family of the deceased who had passed away in prison as a result of prescribed medication
For more information on personal injuries, please click on the following links https://www.raylouis.com.sg/accident-insurance-injury-claims/ and https://accidentlawyersingapore.org/.
Ray Louis is a criminal lawyer with a wide range of experience, ranging from white-collar crime to road traffic offences. He is a member of the Criminal Practice Committee of the Law Society of Singapore. He also teaches Criminal Procedure to law enforcement officers at Temasek Polytechnic as an Adjunct Lecturer.
Noteworthy cases in Criminal Defence are as follows:
Getting the accused spared (as an assistant counsel) from the death penalty (Public Prosecutor v Gopinathan Nair Remadevi Bijukumar, Criminal Case No 40 of 2011) in a murder trial at the High Court and appeal to the Court of Appeal.
Successful acquittal for a client (as assistant counsel) who had accidentally and fatally injured a cyclist in a road accident (as reported in the Strait Times 18 September 2010).
Successful acquittal of client charged for theft caught red handed by the police.
Vast experience and successful mitigated sentences in road traffic offences
Successful acquittal of client wrongfully charged for molest in a night club.
Successful mitigation to avoid jail sentence for PIC related offence.
Family lawyer Ray Louis has had 13 years of experience as a family counsellor to assist you with your separation, contested or uncontested divorce, and other family-related proceedings.
Clients appreciate his affordable legal expertise and sensitivity to personal situations. He has worked on behalf of many local and overseas clients, in cases that include international custody battles and high dollar asset divisions.
Even if your divorce is uncontested, counseling in related issues can ensure that your case is completed quickly and smoothly. After the divorce, he ensures that the settlement is enforced and payment responsibilities are fulfilled.
His legal expertise includes:
Uncontested divorce ($1600 - $2,000)
Contested divorce with disputed child custody or matrimonial assets
Annulment of marriage
Child custody applications
Personal Protection Orders
Media & Publications
- “Falling Ventilation Duct Incident at NEX Shopping Mall” – The Straits Times, 2 September 2020 (Personal Injury)
- “When caning of children becomes abuse” CNA, 18 August 2020 (Criminal Defence)
- “Jail for secondary school teacher who repeatedly performed indecent acts on his underage female student” – The Straits Times, 23 January 2020 (Criminal Defence)
- “Singapore’s first Exclusion Order: Man’s noisy neighbours say they will not comply” – The Straits Times, 7 January 2020 (Criminal Defence)
- Judge explains why student’s probation sentence for molest charge should not be seen as ‘soft option’“ – The Business Insider, 21 December 2019 (Criminal Defence)
- Teacher jailed for kissing 14-year-old student’s lips without her consent – Today, 7 September 2019 (Criminal Defence)
- “Molest: Painful consequences for both parties” – The New Paper, 3 December 2018 (Criminal Defence)
- “Man jailed for stalking university mate and filming up her skirt” – Today, 27 November 2018 (Criminal Defence)
- “Changes to Misuse of Drugs Act trigger old debate” – The Straits Times, 26 November 2018 (Criminal Defence)
- Resident sues condominium developer for negligence after e-scooter fall– Straits Times, 7 June 2018 (Personal Injury)
- Forger Gets Jail For Bank-Cheating Scam – The Straits Times, 24 February 2018 (Criminal Defence)
- Criminal Law (Temporary Provisions) Act– The Straits Times, 10 January 2018 (Criminal Defence)
- Adultery, being unprepared among real reasons why marriages in Singapore fail: Lawyers – Yahoo News, 19 July 2017 (Divorce & Family Law)
- Arrest of couple in Toa Payoh hawker centre dispute – The Straits Times, 27 April 2017 (Criminal Defence)
- S’pore PR charged over promoting commercial sex with a minor overseas – The Straits Times, 15 February 2017 (Criminal Defence)
- The Big Read: Help or hindrance? There’s a downside to posting clips of traffic incidents– Today, 4 February 2017 (Personal Injury, Criminal Defence)
- Rape lie: Woman gets detention order– The Straits Times, 11 Jan 2017 (Criminal Defence)
- My Wife Is Terrified Of My Fake Eye – Asiaone, 26 September 2016 (Personal Injury)
- Detention without criminal record for basketball bust-up – The Straits Times, 30 June 2016
- Lawyer: Drivers can sue riders of e-bikes – The New Paper, 4 March 2016 (Personal Injury)
- Budget Flight Delayed? Too Bad– The New Paper, 24 June 2015
- Errant on Expressways – AsiaOne, 12 April 2015
- No heir to $1 million condo unit – AsiaOne, 1 November 2014
- Jail for man who attacked taxi driver – The Straits Times, 25 August 2014 (Criminal Defence)
- Cryo treatment left her crying out in pain – The New Paper, 23 August 2014 (Personal Injury)
- Family sues doctors for daughter’s death – The New Paper, 9 August 2014 (Personal Injury)
- Girl beaten up at karaoke outlet: 6 women charged – The Straits Times, 30 June 2014 (Criminal Defence)
- Man jailed for punching cabby” – The Straits Times, 25 May 2014 (Criminal Defence)
- Woman’s death from overmedication in prison-Father takes legal action – The Online Citizen, 6 March 2014 (Personal Injury)
- Pro Bono Heroes – On The Red Dot Episode 61 on Channel 5, 22 January 2014
- Mandatory Parenting Programme, January 2018
- Dispute With Neighbours – Compensation After Injured In Fight, January 2018
- How Your Lawyer May Prevent Any Charges From Being Filed Against You, August 2017
- Slip and Fall – Claims Process & Case Study, August 2017
- Motorcycle Accident – Claims Process & Case Study, August 2017
- Public Nuisance Sec 268 Penal Code, May 2017
- Community Based Sentencing, March 2017
- Confessions of a pro bono lawyer – Singapore Law Gazette, July 2012
- Confessions of a criminal practitioner – Singapore Law Gazette, September 2013
- Personal Injury Information – AccidentLawyerSingapore.org
- Criminal Defence Information – CriminalLawSingapore.org
- Divorce and Family Law Information – DivorceLawSingapore.org
Services & Fees
Cost for Uncontested Divorce: $1600 (all-inclusive, no hidden charges, inclusive of GST)
For other matters, please contact Ray for a quotation.