Wilbur graduated from the National University of Singapore’s double-degree programme in 2014 with a First Class Honours in Economics and a Second Class (Upper) Honours in Law.
He commenced his legal career in 2014 as State Counsel in the Attorney-General’s Chambers. During that time, Wilbur was part of a team of lawyers in the Civil Division who provided advice and representation to the Government on domestic law issues. The work Wilbur was involved in during this stint covered a wide spectrum of areas ranging from land acquisition appeals and judicial review applications to data protection and public sector procurement.
In 2018, Wilbur felt a call to enter the private sector and use his legal knowledge and skills to serve and make a difference in the lives of individuals. He found his place at Covenant Chambers LLC, a firm with a strong commitment to improving access to justice. Since then, Wilbur has been building and establishing his practice to serve people in need of quality advice and representation. Wilbur strives to add value by achieving his client’s desired outcome (to the fullest extent permissible by law) in a sensible and cost-effective manner.
Legal proceedings can be a stressful experience. Whether you are contemplating legal action or are being sued, Wilbur will patiently work with you and advise you on the options available to best advance (or protect) your interests.
Wilbur has a passion for teaching and he invests in the next generation of lawyers in Singapore by teaching at the National University of Singapore as an instructor in the Legal Analysis, Research and Communications course.
Wilbur also actively engages in pro bono work and volunteers at the Charis Legal Clinic during his free time.
Sample cases and experience
- Advising on data protection policies and best practices in the public sector
- Advising on appeals against Governmental decisions, including appeals under the Residential Property Act, Land Acquisition Act and appeals against revocation of licences and debarment.
- Advising on constitutional and administrative law issues, as well as the scope and limits of powers under various legislation
- Drafting and vetting tender documents, lease agreements and licences, IT contracts and scholarship agreements for the Government
- Advice and representation to the Government (as assisting Counsel) in defending appeals by private landowners in land acquisition proceedings, with compensation claims involving amounts of more than $30 million.
- Advice and representation to the Government (as assisting Counsel) in defending a judicial review challenge.
- Advice and representation on the recovery of civil debts
- Advice and representation in personal injury motor accident claims
- Advice and representation on legal proceedings to recover a civil debt which had been due and owing to the client for more than a year. The outstanding debt was successfully recovered within a month of legal action.
- Representation in an application for a variation of spousal maintenance on account of financial difficulties. A downward adjustment of almost 50% of the original maintenance was successfully obtained.
- Representation in an appeal to the High Court (Family Division) for an increase in the matrimonial assets awarded upon divorce. The client’s share of matrimonial assets was successfully increased from 40% to 50% on appeal.
- Advice and representation in a claim for equitable accounting to recover monies contributed towards a family property. The matter was successfully settled.
- Advice and representation on criminal proceedings involving an Outrage of Modesty charge.
- Advice and representation to a client who was being harassed by debt collectors. An Expedited Protection Order under the Protection from Harassment Act was successfully obtained and the matter was amicably resolved.
- Advice and representation in an appeal to the High Court against a decision by the Strata Titles Board.
- Advice and representation on setting aside a statutory demand.
Matters handled or assisted by Wilbur wherein the Court rendered a Written Decision include:
ExxonMobil Asia Pacific Pte Ltd v The Collector of Land Revenue AB 2012.035
In this case, the Appeals Board (Land Acquisition) considered a novel issue of law on whether compensation for injurious affection under the Land Acquisition Act includes damage arising from acts outside the boundaries of the acquired land. Wilbur assisted in drafting the legal arguments that persuaded the Board that compensation should be limited to damage from acts occurring on the acquired land.
UMU v UMT and another appeal  SGHCF 16
In this case, Wilbur was part of a team that successfully argued for an increase in the matrimonial assets awarded to the appellant wife by the lower court.
Accolades & Awards
- Dean’s List (Overall), Law Faculty, NUS
- Dean’s List of the Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences, NUS (Placed thrice)
- Dean’s Scholar’s List of the Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences, NUS
- Lai Kew Chai Prize in Equity and Trusts
I have experience in handling a wide range of contentious disputes ranging from shareholder to family disputes and have also worked on matters involving complex or novel questions of law. Whether you are contemplating legal action or are being sued, I seek to render sound advice and effective representation to advance and protect your interests. Please get in touch to explore a customised solution to meet your legal needs.
I have experience in advising on a variety of debt recovery issues ranging from simple debts to claims in unjust enrichment. Regardless of the nature of the debt owed, I will strive to provide quick and fuss-free legal assistance to recover the debt in a cost-effective manner. Please get in touch to understand the costs involved at each stage of the process.
Personal & Family
I recognise that conflicts within the family or community does not usually come with neat legal solutions, and believe that the best approach is a conciliatory one through the process of mediation where parties can be in control of the outcome. Whether you are facing a difficult marriage and are contemplating divorce or are being harassed by a neighbour, allow me to work with you to explore the options and solutions that will best address your worries and concerns.
Services & Fees
I strive to provide quality legal services at an affordable rate. Please get in touch with me to obtain a quotation that is customised according to your needs and budget.
- Debt Recovery
- Deed Polls (Name Change)
- Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA)
- Commercial Disputes
- Business Disputes
- Criminal Defence
- MCST Disputes
- Contract Review
- Shareholder Disputes
- Employment Disputes
- Drafting IOU / Debt Acknowledgment
- Landlord-Tenant Disputes
- Medical Negligence
- Civil Litigation
- Drafting Contracts
- Personal Protection Order
- Contractual Disputes
- Mental Capacity Act applications
- National Service
- Personal Injury
- Debt Recovery for Companies
- Protection From Harassment Order
- Privacy / Data Compliance Review (PDPA)