Wilbur commenced his legal career by serving as a State Counsel at the Attorney-General’s Chambers. In 2018, Wilbur left the public service to pursue his passion in helping others resolve challenging legal issues. He practices across a broad range of practice areas, with a special focus on civil and commercial disputes.
During his time in practice, Wilbur has successfully guided many clients towards a favourable resolution of their legal disputes. Whether he is serving a corporate client or the man on the street, Wilbur spares no effort to help all clients achieve the best possible outcome for their situation. He is an excellent listener, and his clients can always count on him to provide thoughtful, objective, and practical advice that will help them navigate through their legal challenges.
With his keen eye for detail and strong understanding of the law, Wilbur is able to help his clients find the best arguments to present to the adjudicator when an amicable resolution is not possible. In his capacity as an advocate, Wilbur has appeared before various levels of courts and tribunals alike.
Wilbur continues to have a heart for serving the public. He is active in pro bono work and does his part to prepare the next generation of lawyers by teaching as an instructor of legal skills at the National University of Singapore and the Singapore University of Social Sciences.
Wilbur graduated from the National University of Singapore’s double-degree programme with a First Class Honours in Economics and a Second Class (Upper) Honours in Law in 2014.
Dispute Resolution / Civil
- Debt recovery
- Equity and Trusts
- Property disputes
Insolvency / Bankruptcy law
- Bankruptcy / Winding-up proceedings and administration
- Debt Restructuring
- Protection from Harassment Act
- Criminal Defence
- Matrimonial proceedings
- Pre and post-nuptial agreements
- Wills and probate
- Lasting Power of Attorney
- Acted as lead counsel for a corporate client who was a victim of a cheating scam involving a six-figure sum. Wilbur assisted the client to substantially recover the monies that were dishonestly appropriated.
- Acted as lead counsel for an investor to seek a refund of a personal investment after it was discovered that the underlying investment was part of a fraudulent Ponzi scheme by a third-party. Even though the defendant was not a party to the scheme, Wilbur successfully assisted the client to obtain relief by relying on the doctrine of “total failure of consideration”.
- Acted as lead counsel for a sole proprietor to seek relief from various onerous obligations imposed by the distributor. Wilbur successfully obtained declaratory relief from the District Court for his client.
- Acted as lead counsel for clients to seek redress for unjustified comments containing defamatory content that were made pursuant to a commercial dispute. Wilbur assisted the clients to resolve the matter amicably and obtain a satisfactory compensation sum.
- Acted for two poultry supply companies (as part of a legal team) in an appeal against a seven-figure fine imposed by the Competition Consumer Commission of Singapore (CCCS) for various alleged anti-competitive practices. This was the first time a trial on liability was conducted before the Competition Appeal Board (CAB). The team was successful in persuading the CAB to overturn CCCS decision on liability for one of the two alleged anti-competitive practices, and the fine was substantially reduced by 71%.
- Acted as lead counsel for the family members of a person who had lost mental capacity in a highly contested appeal involving the issue of appointment of deputies. Wilbur was successful in assisting the clients to obtain the desired deputyship orders from the Family Division of the High Court.
- ExxonMobil Asia Pacific Pte Ltd AB 2012.035
- YCH Distripark Pte Ltd v Collector of Land Revenue AB 2012.036
- UMU v UMT  SGHCF 16
- Gold Chic Poultry Supply Pte Ltd and anor v Competition and Consumer Commission of Singapore  SGCAB 1
- VUW and others v VUT and another and other appeals  SGHCF 41
- VUT and another v VUV and another  SGFC 63
Legal Clinic Instructor, Centre for Pro Bono and Clinical Legal Education, National University of Singapore
Supervisor, Legal Clerkship Programme, Singapore University of Social Sciences
Volunteer Instructor, MINDEF Basic Defending Officer Course
Volunteer Lawyer, Criminal Legal Aid Scheme /
Law Society Ad Hoc Pro Bono Scheme / Family Justice Support Scheme
Volunteer Lawyer, Charis Legal Clinic
Accolades & Awards
- Dean’s List (Overall), Law Faculty, NUS
- Dean’s List of the Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences, NUS (Placed thrice)
- Dean’s Scholar’s List of the Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences, NUS
- Lai Kew Chai Prize in Equity and Trusts
I have experience in handling a wide range of contentious disputes ranging from shareholder to family disputes and have also worked on matters involving complex or novel questions of law. Whether you are contemplating legal action or are being sued, I seek to render sound advice and effective representation to advance and protect your interests. Please get in touch to explore a customised solution to meet your legal needs.
I advise on a variety of debt recovery issues ranging from simple debts to claims in unjust enrichment. Regardless of the nature of the debt owed, I will strive to provide quick and fuss-free legal assistance to recover the debt in a cost-effective manner. Please get in touch to understand the costs involved at each stage of the process.
Personal & Family
I recognise that conflicts within the family or community does not usually come with neat legal solutions, and believe that the best approach is a conciliatory one through the process of mediation where parties can be in control of the outcome. Whether you are facing a difficult marriage and are contemplating divorce or are being harassed by a neighbour, allow me to work with you to explore the options and solutions that will best address your worries and concerns.
Services & Fees
I strive to provide quality legal services at an affordable rate. Please get in touch with me to obtain a quotation that is customised according to your needs and budget.
- MCST Disputes
- Contract Review
- Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA)
- Criminal Defence
- Commercial Disputes
- Debt Recovery
- Privacy / Data Compliance Review (PDPA)
- Deed Polls (Name Change)
- Business Disputes
- Shareholder Disputes
- Employment Disputes
- Landlord-Tenant Disputes
- Drafting IOU / Debt Acknowledgment
- Medical Negligence
- Civil Litigation
- Drafting Contracts
- Contractual Disputes
- Mental Capacity Act applications
- Personal Protection Order
- Protection From Harassment Order
- Personal Injury
- Debt Recovery for Companies