Ronald believes that lawyering is about serving people to bring about justice, peace and joy.
He commenced his legal career at one of the Big Four law firms, Rajah & Tann Singapore LLP. His practice is in commercial litigation & arbitration, advising and representing institutional and individual clients in a broad range of disputes from multi-million dollar investment claims to employment disputes.
He also enjoys a corporate business advisory practice on various areas including technology law, employment law, startups, investments & financing, regulatory advice, financial services, corporate transactions and acquisitions, and ICOs and blockchain.
Ronald volunteers pro bono with HealthServe, various legal clinics, LAB and CLAS, advocates for social justice in various platforms, and frequently authors academic and thought papers, some of which have been published in various journals.
He was featured in the Asia Business Law Journal 2018, A-List Singapore’s Top 100 Lawyers, and has been awarded the Singapore Academy of Law (SAL) Overseas Attachment Scholarship to be attached to Queens Counsels and barristers in Fountain Court Chambers.
Sample cases & experience:
Advised and successfully acted for an investment fund manager and a large global bank in a claim against a foreign guarantor for sums in excess of US$50 million due under a cross-border syndicated loan agreement. The claim involved the determination of novel conflicts of laws issues regarding the law governing capacity to contract, and a stay of proceedings on grounds of forum non conveniens.
Advised a foreign investor on suspected money laundering activities in relation to, and suspected misappropriation of, a multi-million dollar investment in a fund. Advised investor on potential breaches of regulatory obligations and duties by the Singapore-licensed fund manager imposed by statute and regulations issued by the Monetary Authority of Singapore.
Advised a large global bank on a potential dispute with a South-East Asian bank and a trading company relating to purported non-compliant presentation of documents in respect of a letter of credit.
Advised and acted for a global company in the offshore oil and gas industry in a multi-million dollar claim regarding a multi-million dollar dispute in relation to an Engineering, Procurement, Installation and Construction (“EPIC”) contract.
Advised high net worth foreign private clients on complex trust structures, wealth management and novel personal property issues.
Advised and acted for a shareholder director in an appeal to the Court of Appeal relating to the grant of leave to commence a statutory derivative action involving purported breaches of directors’ duties, tort of passing off, violation of intellectual property rights, and usurpation of corporate opportunities.
Advised an international financial institution on employment issues involving termination, bonuses and drafting of relevant documents.
Memberships, associations, positions, and awards:
- Asia Business Law Journal 2018, A-List Singapore’s Top 100 Lawyers
- Singapore Academy of Law (SAL) Overseas Attachment Scholarship – Fountain Court Chambers
- Singapore Academy of Law (SAL) Sub-Committee on Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Robotics, Member
- Law Society of Singapore, Member
- Singapore Academy of Law, Member
- Healthserve, Volunteer lawyer
- Assigned Solicitor, Legal Aid Bureau
- Criminal Legal Aid Scheme, Volunteer lawyer
- CIL-IAD Summer Research Internship for Research on Public International Law
- Research assistant in NUS on law of trusts & equity, sovereign wealth funds
- Singapore Journal of Legal Studies, Student editor
- Asian Journal of Comparative Law, Student editor
- Koh Han Kok Book Prize (Public International Law)
- NUS Law Faculty Scholarship
- AIESEC NTU-SSTI International Online Essay Competition First Prize
- GlaxoSmithKlein–EDB JC Book Prize (Sir Paul Girolami Book Prize (First Prize))
Ronald is a dedicated lawyer who has represented a wide range of clients in commercial disputes, in both litigation and arbitration.
To his clients, which include individuals and companies, he is a sincere lawyer who listens well before giving sound advice for an affordable budget.
Media & Publications
- “Singapore Medical Council ‘not aware’ of any action against man who deceived psychiatrist” – TodayOnline, 11 March 2019
- “Coming onstream: Laws banning sale of set-top boxes” – TodayOnline, 17 January 2019
- “Taxis and private-hire cars allowed to film passengers, but cannot upload videos on social media” – TodayOnline, 10 April 2018
- “Court dismisses PropertyGuru’s copyright infringement case against 99.co” – TodayOnline, 9 March 2018
- “Who’s responsible if a robot runs amok?” – The Straits Times, 11 March 2017
- Case Comment: Accent Delight International Ltd v Bouvier, Yves Charles Edgar  SGHC 40, Singapore Law Blog, 11 April 2016
- “Why a Constitutional Commission to review the Elected Presidency?”, Straits Times, A20 (17 February 2016)
- “7 Considerations Before Executing the Employment Contract”, The Straits Times, ST Recruit (11 June 2015)
- Ronald JJ Wong, “Upkeep claims for wrongful birth, wrongful conception or wrongful fertilisation? IVF mix-up in the Singapore High Court: ACB v Thomson Medical Pte Ltd  SGHC 9” (2015) 23 Tort L Rev
- “Court of Appeal sets aside Mareva injunctions and ancillary disclosure orders in Bouvier, Yves Charles Edgar and another v Accent Delight International Ltd and another and another appeal”, Singapore Law Blog, 7 September 2015
- Ronald JJ Wong, “Legal Regulation of Drones or Unmanned Aerial Vehicles in Singapore”, Singapore Law Gazette (September 2015)
- Ronald JJ Wong, “Remedies for Equitable Wrongs: Coherence and Limitation Principles: AIB Group (UK) Plc v Mark Redler & Co Solicitors  UKSC 58” (2015) 15(1) OUCLJ
- Ronald JJ Wong and Juay Wei Tian, “The Prevention of Human Trafficking Act 2014: Legislation Comment”  Sing. J.L.S. 261
- Ronald JJ Wong & Jeremy Yeo Wen An, “Rationalising The Notice Requirement For Statutory Derivative Actions: Comparing Singapore And Canadian Perspectives” (2015) 27 SAcLJ 528
- “Reflective Loss, Reverse Piercing and Alter Ego in Koh Kim Teck v Credit Suisse AG, Singapore Branch  SGHC 52”, Singapore Law Blog, 31 March 2015
- Ronald JJ Wong and Jeremy Yeo Wen An, “Case Comment: Gimpex Ltd v Unity Holdings Business Ltd and others and another appeal  SGCA 8”, Singapore Law Blog, 23 February 2015
- “A Private Law Theory of Adjudication Embracing Value Pluralism, Deliberative Democracy and Constitutionalism” (2014) 32 Sing.L.Rev. 81
- “A Critique of International and Singapore Legal Treatments of Trafficking in Persons”  S.J.L.S. 179-205
- “Sinking Your Teeth Into Bitcoin”, Singapore Law Gazette (May 2014):
- “Judging Between Conflicting Expert Evidence: Understanding the Scientific Method and its Impact on Apprehending Expert Evidence” (2014) 26 S.Ac.L.J. 169
- “Employment Contracts – Termination and Dismissal”, Law Gazette (December 2013):
- “Interim Relief in Aid of International Commercial Arbitration: A Critique on the International Arbitration Act” (2012) 24 S.Ac.L.J. 499
Services & Fees
Contact me to explore the most appropriate fee arrangement for your matter and needs.
- Debt Recovery
- Commercial Disputes
- Privacy / Data Compliance Review (PDPA)
- MCST Disputes
- Contract Review
- Shareholder Disputes
- Employment Disputes
- Trademark Infringement
- Intellectual Property Advice
- Drafting IOU / Debt Acknowledgment
- Building and Construction Claims
- Landlord-Tenant Disputes
- Magistrate's Complaint
- Medical Negligence
- Civil Litigation
- Drafting Contracts
- Trade Mark Registration
- Contractual Disputes
- Renovation Claims
- Winding Up of Companies
- Copyright Infringement
- Setting up a business
- Debt Recovery for Companies
- Protection From Harassment Order
- Information / Cybersecurity Review