A person can become a Singapore citizen via the following ways:
- Via Birth:
- A person who is born in Singapore with at least one parent who is a Singapore citizen.
- Via Descent:
- A person born outside Singapore after 15 May 2004, with at least one parent who is a Singaporean citizen.
- A person born outside Singapore before 15 May 2004 if his father was a Singapore citizen by birth or by registration at the time of birth.
- Via Registration:
- A Permanent Resident for at least two years who is employed or married to a Singaporean citizen can register for citizenship. A male Permanent Resident may also apply upon satisfactory completion of full-time National Service, as may children of Singaporean citizens living in Singapore.
A person can become a Permanent Resident in Singapore if he or she is:
- The spouse or unmarried child (below 21 years old) of a Singapore Citizen or a Singapore Permanent Resident
- An aged Parent of a Singapore Citizen
- A P, Q or S work pass holder
- An investor or entrepreneur
To apply for either citizenship or permanent residence, go to www.ica.gov.sg.